Lot's of formatting issues

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Lot's of formatting issues

Post by martin »

mhackney wrote:Am I on the right track with the above or digging myself into a pit? :)
I think you are on the right track with nearly everything :) There is only one problem, that unwanted tab character:
There is a Tab character after the "Chapter 4" that throws off the centering with the soft return (by the way, I use a new character style for the second line to reduce the font size "the best of times"). I looked everywhere and do not see how to remover that.
You cannot remove the tab character enforced by list styles. You also cannot use an alternative character like a space. I'm sorry for the bad news.

I think your best solution might be to use section numbers for your chapter numbers, instead of a list style. You can insert section numbers anywhere using the menu Insert > Automatic Number > Section Number, without any delimiter like a tab character. The only requirement is that you'll need to insert section breaks between chapters, but that hopefully won't be an issue for you.

After switching your chapter numbering to section numbers, you can then number your document sections (and sub-sections) using list styles. I realize that's a bit confusing because of the overloaded use of the term "section", but hopefully it makes some sense. Please let me know if anything I said is confusing, or you have additional requirements to work through.