Page 1 of 1

Nanum Pen Script

Posted: 2017-07-16 08:45:43
by MacSailor
More or less every time I launch NPW I get a message box telling me that I have to download Nanum Pen Script. Why is the NWP keep telling this?

I have apparently two options according to the message box A. Download it by clicking on the button »download», B. Skip it to next launch. If I click on option B, the message appears once more and then I click on the same option one more time.

Next time I launch NWP (even if I launch it without any document automatically opened) it keeps telling me about the »Nanum Pen Script». Quite annoying.

Re: Nanum Pen Script

Posted: 2017-07-16 23:31:27
by Þorvarður
Hi Peter,

I think Nanum Pen Script is a Korean font that also includes Latin characters. Did you ever download this font? Search for it on your computer (using Find Any File or EasyFind.)
Check also your FontBook. Fonts can be disabled and deleted there.
Why is the NWP keep telling this?
I don't know. Did you ever use this font in your Nisus New File or in a glossary?

I would also run OnyX (or a similar utility.) You can rebuild LaunchServices and delete the fonts cache there. But be careful if you are not familiar with OnyX, so that it won't delete items you want to keep (such as cookies.)

Re: Nanum Pen Script

Posted: 2017-07-16 23:48:57
by MacSailor
Þorvarður wrote:Hi Peter,

I think Nanum Pen Script is a Korean font that also includes Latin characters. Did you ever download this font? Search for it on your computer (using Find Any File or EasyFind.)
Check also your FontBook. Fonts can be disabled and deleted there.
Why is the NWP keep telling this?
I don't know. Did you ever use this font in your Nisus New File or in a glossary?

I would also run OnyX (or a similar utility.) You can rebuild LaunchServices and delete the fonts cache there. But be careful if you are not familiar with OnyX, so that it won't delete items you want to keep (such as cookies.)
The only time I downloaded the fonts was when NWP asked me to download it. As far as I know, I have never ever used the particular font in any document whatsoever. I will try the Onyx ( I already have the Cocktail that is a similar app).

Edit: Now I downloaded the font directly trough the FontBook and not from within NWP, and the message disappeared after I relaunched NWP. Did not have to use Onyx or Cocktail.

Thanks for the suggestions to solve the problem.

Re: Nanum Pen Script

Posted: 2017-07-17 02:53:56
by Þorvarður
I'm glad that you could solve the problem. :-)

Re: Nanum Pen Script

Posted: 2017-07-18 12:33:10
by martin
I'm glad you solved the problem and prevented the annoying alert. I want to clarify this:
MacSailor wrote:More or less every time I launch NPW I get a message box telling me that I have to download Nanum Pen Script. Why is the NWP keep telling this?
It's actually not Nisus Writer showing this alert, but the system (macOS). Nisus Writer will ask the system for information about fonts, which can trigger the alert. For example, some template's or file's stylesheet definition may include a font, even if that style isn't actually applied to any text.

Aside from adding the font, you can also disable this feature entirely. If you open Font Book's preferences you'll see an option to turn off automatic font activation:
fontbook.png
fontbook.png (36.2 KiB) Viewed 1457 times

Re: Nanum Pen Script

Posted: 2017-07-19 00:55:28
by MacSailor
martin wrote:I'm glad you solved the problem and prevented the annoying alert. I want to clarify this:
MacSailor wrote:More or less every time I launch NPW I get a message box telling me that I have to download Nanum Pen Script. Why is the NWP keep telling this?
It's actually not Nisus Writer showing this alert, but the system (macOS). Nisus Writer will ask the system for information about fonts, which can trigger the alert. For example, some template's or file's stylesheet definition may include a font, even if that style isn't actually applied to any text.

Aside from adding the font, you can also disable this feature entirely. If you open Font Book's preferences you'll see an option to turn off automatic font activation:
fontbook.png
Thanks for the explanation and how to prevent it from happen again.