line thickness of an underline

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
fbloom

line thickness of an underline

Post by fbloom »

How do I change the thickness of the line when I underline a word in a text. I see how to change the color, but not the thickness. Sorry to be so ignorant.
adryan

Re: line thickness of an underline

Post by adryan »

G'day, fbloom et al

No need to be sorry: the only way to change the thickness of an underline in NWP is by changing the font size — or the window magnification!

An alternative would be to use a Shape, because you can change the thickness of a line. However, Shapes can't be attached to characters, so things can get very awkward with subsequent text manipulations, so you would only resort to this for a special purpose for a very small number of occurrences.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
fbloom

Post by fbloom »

Thanks very much. Now I can stop thinking about it and just live with it.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

That's correct, textual underlines are handled by the font. Increasing the font size may increase the thickness, as may changing the font itself. Different fonts have different underline characteristics.

Another alternative is paragraph borders, if the desired underline can extend across the whole line/paragraph of text. You can set the paragraph border to only draw its bottom edge– using whatever edge thickness, style, and coloring you want.