Best way to manage style sheets in a multi-language doc

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
David Sharp

Best way to manage style sheets in a multi-language doc

Post by David Sharp »

I'm writing a series of documents which will contain both a text in English followed by its translation into French (or vice-versa). I'm just wondering what is the most ergonomic way to manage my style sheets for the whole thing.
So far, I've improvised by tacking on a "Normal_fr" style to the standard "Normal" one in English. But as it's the standard "Normal" style that determines the language set for the overall document, this means that I would logically have to create French-language equivalents for all the other styles, too. A big hassle.

Is there some way of telling Nisus: "From this point on, keep all the same styles, but switch their language to French"?
Or alternatively, of switching from the English set of styles to another one, only in French, in the middle of the document?

Many thanks for any advice.
Þorvarður

Re: Best way to manage style sheets in a multi-language doc

Post by Þorvarður »

Hello David,
David Sharp wrote:I'm writing a series of documents which will contain both a text in English followed by its translation into French (or vice-versa). I'm just wondering what is the most ergonomic way to manage my style sheets for the whole thing.
There is no reason why you should be using a special style for this. Just select the text you wrote in French and change the language attribute to French. Voilà. That's it.
Is there some way of telling Nisus: "From this point on, keep all the same styles, but switch their language to French"?
Mais bien sûr, just assign a keyboard shortcut to Format > Language > French, and when you execute that shortcut Nisus will automatically switch to French. When you are finished and want to write in English again, then press the English shortcut. It's as easy as that. :-)
… this means that I would logically have to create French-language equivalents for all the other styles, too. A big hassle.
No. A language attribute does not change an underlying style (so far there's any) in any way.

PS
David, are you still living in Paris?
David Sharp

Re: Best way to manage style sheets in a multi-language doc

Post by David Sharp »

Hi Þorvarður

Thanks for that. I guess it's just a case of "RTFM". I was looking at the individual styles in my document, and noting that they all specified a language. I therefore assumed that to use the same style, but in a different language, you had to create a new style.

In reply to your last question: yes.