Problems opening documents

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Vingerdien

Post by Vingerdien »

Just recently, within the last few days, my 2011 MacBook Pro has developed problems opening documents within Nisus Writer Pro. The "Finder" window that pops up is extremely sluggish, slow to scroll. Also, the "open" window is often a blank page with no "cancel" or "open" buttons at the bottom. Sometimes when a document opens, it looks like a lot of ASCII notations along with the text.

Documents are saved in a dropbox folder of just under 5 GB.

The machine is a 2011 MacBook Pro, 500 GB SSD drive, 8 MB RAM.

. Any ideas or solutions much appreciated. Thank you
exegete77

Re: Problems opening documents

Post by exegete77 »

Similar computer setup (iMac 2011) and identical problems in the last 3-4 weeks. Sometimes it takes 1-2 minutes for NWP to launch. Sometimes I have to force quit.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
Vanceone

Re: Problems opening documents

Post by Vanceone »

First questions: How much free space on your SSD? OS X requires about 10% of the disc capacity to be free for various things like virtual memory and so forth. So if you don't have around 30 GB free on a 500GB drive... that might explain some of it.

Does Nisus demonstrate these same behaviors after a restart, with Nisus the only thing open?

Also, those are older macs (I also work mainly on a 2011 Mac). It's possible that if you have stock equipment it's simply wearing out (the HD).

Try restarting and seeing if Nisus works better. If so, you are resource constrained somehow--another program is taking your 8GB of RAM or your SSD is full. If it still has the issues and there's plenty of RAM and hard drive space, then we can try to reinstall Nisus.