Install

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Yohanan

Re: Install

Post by Yohanan »

So, I deleted them all except for the Nisus New File, redefined it and replaced the Nisus New File in templates by the new defined one. I get it only after the app has opened the older one and I ask for a new file, which is acceptable though not perfect. With all due respect, I suspect the production of these weird templates might be a little bug in the programation somewhere.
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Same problem on the IMac High Sierra last version too. The process of changing the New Nisus File as template is o.k. but NWP will open first on some other settings (partly the ones I defined) and only present the Nisus New File when asked for a new file (so a second one).
As it has already happened before, I find some strange multiples folders with templates from within : Nisus Documents/Glossaries; Nisus Documents/Macros; Nisus Documents/Style Library. I wonder if I am the only one user of MWP meeting with that problem on High Sierra 10.13.6 ?
Not a big problem, but one would feel easier with surer proceedings.
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

In case this is not my own error of installation, please contact the technicians and ask them to consider these phenomena.
Yohanan

Install here is what I found

Post by Yohanan »

Finally, opening as before the app. I have a 10 pt line spacing, then clicking in the header part of the file (things there are as I wanted them to be), after which going back to the main part of the file, my own settings for the Normal style (18 pt) do appear and everything seems correct. This fact and the multiple folders duplicated as sub-folders in Nisus Documents leads me to the conclusion that there might well be a little bug somewhere.
BTW, the 10 pt spacing mentioned here above reacts strangely when I raise the numbers, it first shrinks instead of augmenting the line spacing, then it augments.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble Yohanan. Your experience is definitely not expected. From what you've described it sounds like Nisus Writer is can't access your template file every time you quit and relaunch the app. It also seems like maybe autosave is having trouble writing changes to disk. All this points to a problem with sandboxing, a system feature designed to increase security on your Mac.

Do you have any concerns about completely resetting Nisus Writer? That would discard all settings and customizations you've made to the app. Such a reset would also delete and recreate Nisus Writer's sandbox, which would hopefully solve your problems. If you don't have any concerns with resetting Nisus Writer and losing your settings, please see our FAQ on how to reset the app. Be sure to read the whole FAQ before you begin, to make sure you're comfortable with the process.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and sorry for all the trouble.
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Thank you Martin for the advice. I did so and the result is not so bad.I had NOT to redefine the settings Nisus kept all of my sales and template from before. I just got the same old template according to my own settings, then, instead of trying to get the perfection, I am willing to accept to have to click first in the header once before e I use the main part of the file for writing. I am not sure the presence of templates within the style library is still ok, like this, but I hope the app will do the job.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 20.46.24.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 20.46.24.png (58.63 KiB) Viewed 9358 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm glad the sandbox reset fixed the problem, and your templates and settings are intact now. You should be able to customize your New File header, margins, styles, etc, now that Nisus Writer can maintain access to your template file.

I'm very sorry for all the confusion and trouble. It's really not normal what you encountered, and was almost certainly a bug with the Mac system and sandboxing.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Martin et al

But Yohanan still does not have the correct hierarchical folder structure in the Nisus Documents folder.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

adryan wrote: 2018-09-21 12:27:54 But Yohanan still does not have the correct hierarchical folder structure in the Nisus Documents folder.
That's certainly true. There's a lot of unnecessary redundancy and nesting showing in Yohanan's screenshot. It could use some cleaning up, to avoid any potential confusion.

But a messy support file hierarchy isn't necessarily anything to worry about, so long as things are working correctly.
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Thanks Adryan,

I do fear that the regular "disparition" of glossaries or Library of styles, might be related to this multiplication of sub-folders.
Yohanan
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Most important maybe, the fact that following the indications I did NOT get a new installation, but only what I already had.