Insertion Point in Find/Replace

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
adryan

Insertion Point in Find/Replace

Post by adryan »

G’day, Martin et al

Major bug in Find/Replace dialog box: insertion point seems to be one character to the right of the cursor.

For example, “abcdef” in Find field. Cursor between “c” and “d”. Type “x”. Result is “abcdxef”.

I have a vague recollection of seeing such a problem a long time ago, but I can’t remember whether it was with Nisus Writer or not.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
Beurlen

Re: Insertion Point in Find/Replace

Post by Beurlen »

I coudn't reproduce this in my copy of NW Pro 3.0. Beurlen
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Beurlen et al

Thanks for checking this out.

The problem persists for me even after a Restart, with such cursor position anomalies as bisection of a character and moving more than one character position with a single hit of the left arrow key. It only affects the Find/Replace dialog box: the main document exhibits expected behavior.

I’ve sent a screen shot to Nisus.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

adryan wrote: 2018-10-25 02:32:57 in Find/Replace dialog box: insertion point seems to be one character to the right of the cursor.
I know what you mean, but this bug is inconsistent. It may depend on the font and font-size setting of the Find Box, and other things.
philip
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Philip et al

Thanks for looking at this, Philip.

I do a lot of work in A6 document format with Palatino 9 pt. No problem with NWP 2.

There is a general problem with the Find/Replace dialog box, though, because the size of text in it might have the same point size as text in the main document, but its appearance is different, due to zoom effects in the main document not being reflected in the F/R dialog box. Even 12 pt text appears too small in the F/R dialog box. This has been a longstanding annoyance for me in NWP 2 and persists in NWP 3; I suppose I should have mentioned it earlier. But the cursor problem is new.

I wish I could recall where I’ve seen this cursor issue before. I did a search of this forum and found nothing. It may have been related to FileMaker Pro which I used for years until they raised the price too high, for precious little benefit; they may have gone to a subscription system, too — dunno. I no longer use it, but maybe that’s where I experienced the cursor problem previously.

If I don’t get a resolution of this issue, I will reluctantly have to revert to NWP 2.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Hi Adrian,
I just know that I have seen this problem off and on, including once in NW3. Currently it seems to be okay.
As for the Find Box text size: I set the Zoom of the Find Box to 300%, which solves the "too small" problem for me.
philip
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Philip et al

Thanks for that tip about zoom in the Find/Replace dialog box, Philip. I never knew that was possible! The zoom commands in the View menu do the trick. Brilliant!

Interestingly, cursor position and insertion point work as expected when the dialog box is zoomed up, as well as when it is zoomed back down to 100%, at least for now. There has to be a clue in there about the cause of the problem.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura