NWP3 & Word files

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Charles WJ

NWP3 & Word files

Post by Charles WJ »

From time to time I edit Word text files (.doc & .docx) of technical reports. As I have never got on well with Word, I tried NWP3 in the hope that it might do better than NWP2 does. Unfortunately it does not. I can live with the inability, that both have, to render graphics that are derived from Excel files. The key difficulty is that NWP renumbers the sections, starting each file from 1; Word maintains the numbers across the files. This makes it difficult to link my comments to the author's original text. Perhaps there is a system to ensure that the numbering is not changed and I hope that someone can show me that way.
phspaelti

Re: NWP3 & Word files

Post by phspaelti »

Perhaps this discussion might be helpful?
http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7119
philip
phspaelti

Re: NWP3 & Word files

Post by phspaelti »

Just to elaborate a bit. Automatic numbering in a Word file should be "transformed" into a List style in Nisus. The main reason why these numbers end up in the form "1. 1. 1. …" is either (a) the List style is not set to continue numbering through the document, i.e, "Continue numbering across document content" is unchecked in the List style definition, or, (b) the single numbering style in Word is transformed into a whole slew of List styles in Nisus. In other words a "Number list" in Word becomes "Number list 1", "Number list 2", … in Nisus. Since each number ends up with its own list style, obviously the numbers will keep restarting at 1.

The way to fix the problem is in case (a) to open the style definition and just check the preference. Or in case (b) to select all the relevant numbers and then apply the same List style to all of them. After that the extra styles can be deleted. Why the file import creates these extra styles though, I have no idea.
philip