Pages vanishing from document

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
schollem

Pages vanishing from document

Post by schollem »

I am having trouble with pages vanishing from a document. I got a corruption warning a few days ago, while working on a 158 page document that contains many tracked changes, but the document seemed to be working fine. Then, on Friday all pages after page 42 vanished. I was able to restore an earlier version of the document. I thought this might be an issue with my version of Nisus Writer and upgraded to the new version. Everything seemed to work fine until I opened the document today, on Sunday. All pages after page 42 were gone again, but they were also gone from every auto-saved version, so I could not restore them. Instead, I opened a new document, pasted in the 42 pages and then went back to an even older version and pasted back in the missing pages. I saved a local copy to be safe. (The document lives in a shared DropBox folder.) An hour later, I closed the document by accident and when I reopened it, everything after page 42 was gone again. Bafflingly, the pages were also gone from the local copy as well as all auto-saved versions.

I've tried to open the document in TextEdit, but it says "The file might be corrupted, truncated, or in an unexpected format." Opening it on another computer also doesn't help. The newer version is still a larger file size than the original, even though it isn't displaying 2/3rds of the pages.

Any advice?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Pages vanishing from document

Post by martin »

I'm very sorry you're having such serious trouble. That kind of data loss would be very bad. I'm hopeful the problem is merely a display issue, and your missing pages still exist, but are just being displayed incorrectly. We definitely want to help.

Can you please send us one of the unexpectedly truncated files via the menu Help > Send Feedback? We'll take a look and see what's going on.

In the meantime, while we look at your problematic file, you might switch to Draft View. If there's merely a pagination problem, you should be able to sidestep it and see all your text in Draft View.