Wrong graphic at startup?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
cre

Wrong graphic at startup?

Post by cre »

After installing the newest version of NW Pro, I notice that the splash screen still contains the old graphic, i.e. the same one as v.2. Is this intentional or is it a mistake? I ask because the new graphic appears on all new files, on the app and on the dock. So why is the old graphic still used on the startup splash screen? It may or may not be relevant that, on installation, I retained a copy of NW Pro v.2 on my hard disk and there did seem to be some strange interaction between the old and the new version, in that the splash screen didn't seem able to make up its mind which graphic to display— first the new one then the old on flicked on and off until it decided to display the old one, and it has remained with the old one ever since. At present, I have stuck with Apple's High Sierra, but I wonder if this also occurs with Mojave?
Attachments
NWP v.3 Startup.jpeg
NWP v.3 Startup.jpeg (122.63 KiB) Viewed 6125 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Wrong graphic at startup?

Post by martin »

Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with your copy of Nisus Writer or its startup graphic. What you see is intentional.

We love our excellent new Nisus Writer Pro 3 app icon, created for us by Rory at ThinkMac:

It's beautiful, distinctive, and incorporates elements from our company history. That said we didn't want to leave out Hermes (aka Nisus Man) completely. He's been with us since the very start back in Classic days:
app icon.png
app icon.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 6122 times

We thought we'd let Hermes make an appearance on our about box and startup screen, for those that are observant enough to spot him.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

But the icons of my Nisus documents on my desktop are still those with Hermes, while the same documents in the Document manager show the new icon with the fountain pen. Is this intentional too?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Timotheus wrote: 2018-11-09 10:52:45 But the icons of my Nisus documents on my desktop are still those with Hermes, while the same documents in the Document manager show the new icon with the fountain pen. Is this intentional too?
That's not intentional. Ideally your Nisus Writer file icons would use the new app icon everywhere. We can ensure this in the Document Manager, where the icons are under our control.

However, the Finder does whatever it likes, or at least whatever Apple likes. It's probably still showing outdated icons from your old version of Nisus Writer. I expect that in time the Finder will recognize the new document icons in Nisus Writer Pro 3 and show them to you, but I can't make any promises. If you really want to pursue the matter you could clear the macOS system icon cache, but that's not something I would recommend you bother doing. You'd have to use a 3rd party cleaner tool or run some esoteric Terminal commands.

Oh and I should say that unfortunately any old icons used by the Finder are also like to show in your Nisus Writer document window titlebars. The "proxy icon" next to the document's file name is also controlled by the Mac system.