Preference files

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
hbusby1

Preference files

Post by hbusby1 »

Hi,

I just upgraded to a new MacBook Pro and when I tried to use Migration Assistant, it failed. Apple wasn't able to help. So I need to know which Nisus Writer 3 preference files (or whatever) to move manually in order to recover the extensive QuickFix additions I've added. Thanks.

Hari
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Preference files

Post by martin »

Hello Hari, I'm sorry you had trouble migrating your user settings between Macs. I'm sure you have more than just Nisus Writer settings to contend with.

It is possible to manually migrate QuickFix entries from Nisus Writer version 2 to version 3, even between different Macs. It's not too difficult. The overview is that you will copy several language definition files (.nlang) from your old Mac to your new Mac. Here's what you should do:

1. Start on the Mac with Nisus Writer Pro version 2.
2. In the Finder show the Nisus Writer application support folder which has the following path:

Code: Select all

~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Data/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro
3. You will see a subfolder called "Languages", inside of which are a variety of ".nlang" files. Each nlang file contains the settings for a single language, including any QuickFix entries you've created.
4. Make copies of the nlang files for the desired languages.
5. Transfer the copied nlang files to your new Mac (the Mac with Nisus Writer Pro version 3).
6. In your Nisus Writer "General" preferences choose a folder for the "synchronized settings location", eg: Dropbox. It doesn't matter what you choose.
7. Quit Nisus Writer.
8. In the Finder show the folder you selected for your sync settings (in step 6 above).
9. You will again see a "Languages" subfolder. Move the copied nlang files into place.
10. Relaunch Nisus Writer Pro 3.

That should do it. Your copied QuickFix entries should be loaded from the sync settings folder.
hbusby1

Re: Preference files

Post by hbusby1 »

Yes!

Thank you so much. Go Nisus!

Hari