file lost? "Bookmark data previously..."

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Foxofjapan

file lost? "Bookmark data previously..."

Post by Foxofjapan »

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 8.31.41.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 8.31.41.png (49.52 KiB) Viewed 8371 times
Anyway to retrieve this file? I don't know what happened?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: file lost? "Bookmark data previously..."

Post by martin »

A bookmark to a file is a way of locating a file. It's a Mac system feature, similar to how aliases used to work back in the old Classic (OS9) days. The idea is that a bookmark can still locate a file, even if you change its name or move it around.

The warning you see in Nisus Writer should not concern you. It means that the bookmark is no longer working. Either the bookmark is invalid, or maybe it failed to locate the file. You should be able to open the file directly, via the Finder or an Open dialog, if the file still actually exists on your Mac.

You can see in the screenshot that the file used to be on your Desktop. Do you still have it there?
Foxofjapan

Post by Foxofjapan »

Martin,
I am unable to open find the file.Your explanation seems very facile: I have been using Nisus Writer Pro for about 15 years. Can you supply some more information.
Michael Fox
Kakogawa City
Japan
Foxofjapan

Post by Foxofjapan »

Nisus #2.png
Nisus #2.png (22.34 KiB) Viewed 8349 times
Foxofjapan

Post by Foxofjapan »

This was a file with content!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hello Michael,

I'm very sorry you haven't been able to open your document. The error you see in Nisus Writer only indicates that the file can't be found by Nisus Writer. That doesn't necessarily mean the file no longer exists. I can't answer that question. I don't know if your file exists. If it was deleted I don't how it might have been deleted. As you know there are many ways a file can be lost or deleted.

The warning in Nisus Writer doesn't help in understanding what happened to the file. It just means Nisus Writer can't find your file. If you no longer see the file on your Desktop then it was probably moved or deleted. If the file is gone then Nisus Writer certainly can't open it. I'm sorry I don't have a more satisfying answer.

As for what you can do:

1. Have you tried using Spotlight to find your file? That's the system search feature, which may locate your file if it was moved or renamed.
2. Do you have Time Machine enabled on your Mac? You might use that to restore a lost file.

I hope that helps. Good luck!