Images won't resize nicely

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
sethgodin

Images won't resize nicely

Post by sethgodin »

I'm new to 3.0

I've checked the online doc but can't figure out what's going on here. In the older versions, "Insert image" would insert the image, and I could make it bigger or smaller.

In the new version, it appears to be forced to a certain line height and squishes it wide.

So I tried to open it in Preview, selected all and copied it.

That's better, but still doesn't do what it's supposed to.

I'm sure there's a setting I'm missing. Would love some help.

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgpzzbgal3gc6 ... 3.jpg?dl=0
Screenshot 2018-12-15 17.15.23.jpg
Screenshot 2018-12-15 17.15.23.jpg (132.74 KiB) Viewed 11557 times
sethgodin

Re: Images won't resize nicely

Post by sethgodin »

PS I just noticed that yesterday was the twelfth anniversary of me being in this forum. Thank you to everyone on the Nisus team. This software is clearly the bargain of the century, and your skill and persistence are totally appreciated.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, sethgodin et al

Insert Image works for me in NWP 3 as it should. I'm not sure why your experience is different. I've done a bit of experimentation but could not replicate your situation. It might be useful to test whether the dimensions of your image can still be altered in the Shape Metrics Palette or not.

I don't often insert images in NWP documents, so I don't really know whether anything is different in NWP 3 in this respect. But in the course of my experimentation I noticed some things that might be helpful to others. Some behavior is not necessarily what you would expect.

For example, adjusting the size of an image by moving one of its borders is not the same as adjusting the size by moving one of its selection handles. The former is akin to adjusting a window or doing an unconstrained crop; the latter (even with a straight vertical or horizontal movement with no component along the other axis) is akin to a zoom.

Also, the linkage button in the Shape Metrics Palette has no effect on the aspect ratio of an image that is resized with the cursor in any of the above ways. The aspect ratio in these cases remains unchanged. The linkage button only affects the aspect ratio when you alter the Width and/or Height dimensions in the Palette.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
sethgodin

Post by sethgodin »

Thanks Adrian

I hear you.

I'm manipulating the photo the same way I always have, but it's not letting me resize, rescale or otherwise adjust.

that's the heart of my question.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

I've inserted an image (jpeg) into NWP 3 and then tried to resize it, and it behaved as it did in NWP 2.x. I had, so far, no problems at all during the resizing of the jpeg file.

But when I inserted a tiff file, it only worked with »Inline with text». If I tried to use »Float with paragraph» or » Float on Page of ¶», the tiff image disappeared from the document or it was not visible anymore.
Peter Edwardsson
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Insert Image should work as you expect, maintaining your graphic's original aspect ratio. Unless you manually resize the image it shouldn't appear squished like that.

Do you have this problem with all your images, or just a particular image or group of images? I once ran into such a problem, not with Nisus Writer but in another app. Eventually I figured out that a particular set of images I'd captured had a really wonky aspect ratio. It was even worse than in your screenshot, where my images were almost completely flat (they appeared basically as flat lines).

If you continue to have trouble please let us know. It might help if you privately send us a problematic image and/or file for testing, so we can have a look.
sethgodin

Post by sethgodin »

thanks Martin

indeed, I can only replicate it with that picture

I jumped the gun because I've used that photo often + new version

sorry for the false alarm