InfoClick: Show in Mail—doesn’t

Talk about InfoClick, our email search tool.
exegete77

InfoClick: Show in Mail—doesn’t

Post by exegete77 »

I tried to find emails by a specific person. And InfoClick found what I needed instantly. But when I right-clicked on “Show in Mail.app,” nothing happened. I looked in Mail and nothing was highlighted.

Am I missing something?
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: InfoClick: Show in Mail—doesn’t

Post by martin »

That should definitely work. Let's check some things:

1. Is Apple Mail running at the time you choose the "Show in Mail.app" menu?
2. What happens if you choose "Reveal File in Finder" instead– does that work? If so, if you then double-click the file in the Finder, does that open in Mail?
3. Does this problem happen for all emails, or just some?
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

1. Is Apple Mail running at the time you choose the "Show in Mail.app" menu?

Yes, Mail is open. And it will switch to Mail, but nothing is highlighted, and the email itself does not appear.

2. What happens if you choose "Reveal File in Finder" instead– does that work? If so, if you then double-click the file in the Finder, does that open in Mail?

Yes, it shows in Finder and I can double click and that specific email opens. But again, within the main Mail window it is not highlighted (which I expected). I guess I assumed that Mail would also move to that specific email in the list within Mail.

3. Does this problem happen for all emails, or just some?

This happens for all emails
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

So just to make sure I'm clear on the details:

1. Using the "Show in Mail.app" command brings Mail to the front, but neither opens an email document window nor highlights the email in Mail's folder hierarchy.
2. Double-clicking the file in the Finder brings Mail to the front and opens the email document window, but does not highlight the email in Mail's folder hierarchy.

Is that correct? If so, behavior #2 is completely expected, as unfortunately Mail doesn't go the extra mile to select the email in the folder hierarchy.

But behavior #1 should be working just as #2, where the email document window is opened in Mail. If not, that's a problem. Could you submit a feedback report from within InfoClick? Thanks.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

martin wrote:So just to make sure I'm clear on the details:

1. Using the "Show in Mail.app" command brings Mail to the front, but neither opens an email document window nor highlights the email in Mail's folder hierarchy.
2. Double-clicking the file in the Finder brings Mail to the front and opens the email document window, but does not highlight the email in Mail's folder hierarchy.
#1 — that is correct.

#2 — that is correct.
martin wrote:Is that correct? If so, behavior #2 is completely expected, as unfortunately Mail doesn't go the extra mile to select the email in the folder hierarchy.

But behavior #1 should be working just as #2, where the email document window is opened in Mail. If not, that's a problem. Could you submit a feedback report from within InfoClick? Thanks.
After posting I began thinking again about this. I had only set up the database this last week. But I thought, what if I rebuild the database (you know, like the old Windows troubleshooting days :lol: )? I did, and now the connection into Apple Mail works as expected!!!

Thanks. I hope this helps someone else.
Mac user since 1990
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Well, not so fast.

I restarted the computer this morning. And now when I right-click on the selected message in InfoClick and choose “Show in mail app” nothing happens, Mail does not come to the front, and no email message shows in Mail when I do bring it to the front.

Even worse, now when I choose “show in Finder” nothing happens.

So there is more going on (or rather not going on) than originally thought. I sent a Feedback report to Nisus through InfoClick.

Martin, any more help on this?
Mac user since 1990
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

I cannot reproduce the problem with this brilliant piece of software that is InfoClick.
Also, Mail does not have to be running when you apply the 'Show in Mail.app' command from InfoClick. At that point, if Mail is not running, it will launch and open all the emails selected in InfoClick's Search pane.

I suggest, as a first step, you rebuild mailboxes in Mail app.
In Mail app, in the Mailboxes column select Inbox.
Hold Shift and select the last mailbox in the list under 'On My Mac'.
Apply the 'Rebuild' command from the Mailbox menu. This will take a few seconds.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Thanks, Hamid. I rebuilt all seven mailboxes. Then tried InfoClick. No go.

So, I rebuilt InfoClick database, and so far it works (both in Mail and in Finder). I will check again when I restart the computer.
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hamid wrote:Also, Mail does not have to be running when you apply the 'Show in Mail.app' command from InfoClick. At that point, if Mail is not running, it will launch
That's correct– I was just trying to eliminate some possible causes of the problem, in an attempt to diagnose his problem.
I suggest, as a first step, you rebuild mailboxes in Mail app.
This shouldn't be necessary. However Mail chooses to organize its email files, InfoClick should be able to track and periodically update itself as needed. But there's certainly no harm in trying the Mail mailbox rebuild. It's actually solved some problems for me in the past that just involved Mail and not InfoClick (eg: when Mail sometimes decides to display undecoded MIME source instead of actual text).

Well, exegete sent in a feedback report and we've replied to him there privately, so hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Now that it is working, do you still want a feedback report? Or wait until it is not acting properly? I’ll do whatever will help you.
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

exegete77 wrote:Now that it is working, do you still want a feedback report? Or wait until it is not acting properly? I’ll do whatever will help you.
Let's wait until the problem occurs again (or maybe we can cross our fingers that it's gone now). If it does come back, please submit another feedback report and we'll get back to diagnosing this. Thanks for your help!
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Didn’t take long. I rebooted the computer. Rather than open Mail as I usually do. I left it closed. I tried a search for text in InfoClick. InfoClick found the email I was looking for. However, when I right-clicked on “Show in Mail.app” the Mail icon bounced on the Dock for more than a minute and never did start. I force quit Mail, and then tried again. Same result.

So, I force quit Mail. Then started Mail as I have done in the past. Then when I right-click on “Show in Mail.app” the Mail app comes to the front, but no email is highlighted and the email does not open.

It did work for “Show path in Finder.”

I sent the log files this time.
Mac user since 1990
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

After more troubleshooting tips given by Martin, it still acts the same way. Here is what I sent to Martin:
I rebooted again. Here are the results.

When Mail hangs, there is no Apple error reporter window. It just never launches, no matter how long I wait. When I start Mail directly it launches within 3-4 seconds.

(I also sent the Console log)
Then I sent this additional notice.

One other thing I noticed. I have InfoClick set to launch when logging into my account. If I quit InfoClick, then when I relauch it, it claims that it cannot find the email folder, and wants me to find it. It opens the window to the exact folder and I click OK and it then imports all 55k emails — again, as if it has never worked with the emails or building the database. And I have done that three times importing all over again, and it still behaves the same way.
Mac user since 1990
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Problem continues. I have rebuilt the InfoClick database, I have run Disk Utilities (as a regular maintenance thing), I have scanned for new emails.

Selecting “View in Mail.app” does not work. It will bring Mail to the front, but no email is selected, and the email itself does not come up in its own window.
Mac user since 1990
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Any other suggestions, Martin?
Mac user since 1990