Can't open files in Classic mode

Nisus Thesaurus, Nisus Writer Classic– this is the place for all other Nisus products.
helinskij

Can't open files in Classic mode

Post by helinskij »

Help!

I have a many documents that I have created with Nisus on a 9.X mac.
Now when I try to open them on an OS 10.3 mac with Nisus Classic running under Classic mode I get the following error message:

WHILE OPENING "FILENAME" WITH XTND THERE WAS AN ERROR

"OUT OF MEMORY"

Has anyone else seen this? If so, is there a fix?
I have tried starting Classic with extensions off and gave Nisus more than enough memory. Switching to Express is not an option because I need to use the drawing tools that are available in Nisus 6.X. I am anxious to by a new iMac, but this problem is holding me up until I get it resolved.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

helinskij,

I'm sorry you experience difficulties with Nisus Writer Classic.

I've not seen this problem. Does this happen with all files or only with specific files?
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
helinskij

Post by helinskij »

Mark,

It happens with all of my files created under 9.X.

Many of them have graphics, but not all of them. I thought at first that it was only the graphics containing files, but it isn't.

I am hoping that the programmers will be adding the graphics tools of Classic to Express. Otherwise I will have to move over to AppleWorks or (gasp!) MicroSoft Word.

Have you succcessfully opened old Nisus files on a Panther Mac running in Classic mode?

Joe
rmark
Official Nisus Person

re: Can't open files in Classic mode

Post by rmark »

Joe,

Indeed. I open Classic files in Nisus Writer Classic running in the Classic environment of OS X Panther 10.3.5 all the time. In fact, the Nisus Writer Express manual was written in Nisus Writer Classic 6.5 in just that way.

If you want to send me a sample file for testing, please do so with an explanatory cover letter to <support@nisus.com>. We'll look into it.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.