UK English only

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
starbend

UK English only

Post by starbend »

I needed a word processor and thought that Nisus Express was my best option and apart from wanting more customizable toolbar commands ( Like alignment buttons, preset styles etc... ) the only real problem I am having is making Nisus stick to UK English ( It keeps jumping back to US English ) I have deleted all other languages in the preferences and set each new document and Nisus Thesaurus up as UK English but it repeatably reverts back.

Anyone else experiencing this, is there a fix, It's driving me crazy ?
starbend

Post by starbend »

I take it, it's a busy weekend at Nisus software - or this is just not the right place to get some ideas on how to bust bugs or reveal hidden secrets ?

Please, a little support would be really welcome :)
starbend

Post by starbend »

OK, so I did a search and found this thread... But it still does not account that the thesaurus also reverts back to US English.

http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... uk+english

I would like UK English spellings to words no matter what spelling or text format I have or will use/highlight. Turning off spelling or not using the thesaurus is not an option. If I delete all languages except UK English that is what I expect to show up on my word processor.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I assume your system language is set to UK English? I believe that might make a difference.

Also, one of the most frequent times this happens (in my experience and from what it sounds like on this forum) is from other people's documents -- particularly those made in M$ Word. Um, I'm not sure what there is to do about that, short of clobbering Microsoft's programmers and demanding they make decent software or overthrowing their near-monopoly on word processors.

Ryan Miglavs
www.r-blog.com
starbend

Post by starbend »

No, I brought a British copy of MacOS Panther, installed with international English highlighted and setup system preferences/ international - format/region United Kingdom - Input menu British only and still Express sets every new document with US English.

I have gone to the Express preferences and in the languages settings tab I have deleted all languages except 'English (British)' spelling and keyboard are all set to British yet Express still sets back to US English.

[EDIT] I think I have figured out the how and the why of the US English domination and it's to go to Express's preferences select general/advanced tab and press the 'edit file' tab. Change the input 'flag' to British and the thesaurus to English(British) and then select save from the main file menu and then the imperialistic confusion should be fixed.

I am very disappointed that a member of the Nisus team did not respond to my inquiry - this is not good software support and shows the company in a very bad light. Part of the 'joy' of learning is figuring out things for yourself but I doubt this was your motive.

Maybe this 'fix' should be added to Express's FAQ for other foreign users to find.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

starbend wrote:I think I have figured out the how and the why of the US English domination and it's to go to Express's preferences select general/advanced tab and press the 'edit file' tab. Change the input 'flag' to British and the thesaurus to English(British) and then select save from the main file menu and then the imperialistic confusion should be fixed.

I am very disappointed that a member of the Nisus team did not respond to my inquiry - this is not good software support and shows the company in a very bad light. Part of the 'joy' of learning is figuring out things for yourself but I doubt this was your motive.
Good job of finding the source of your situation. It makes sense that if your new document template is set to U.S. English, then every new document would be in U.S. English.

I'd give the Nisus folks a little bit of a break, here. You posted your question on Friday (tax day, here in the U.S., by the way). Hopefully they get weekends off, which would explain why they haven't responded. Most support for smaller companies (and even larger ones) is only during the work week.

Ryan Miglavs
www.r-blog.com
starbend

Post by starbend »

Yo Ryan, suppose I was a little over anxious - I work when there is work (freelance) and 'know no' weekend type scenario for such a long time now, that maybe I've become slightly myopic - for which I apologise or maybe apologize. My problem is sorted with new document creation but every time an old Nisus document is opened I have the same old problem. All UK English words are highlighted as spelling errors.

It does seem an over-sight or bug and I hope that it is put on the Nisus 'must-fix' priority list, because I see little humour/humor in it.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Ha ha! No need to apologise or even apologize. As a student, I think my life revolves too much around weekends. My apologies (probably not apologiez).

Judging by the forum threads, I would think (and hope) that Nisus has been looking into patching up the language support. Charles has said several times that they're working on this, particularly on making the interface of it make more sense. Some of the mess may be us just plain not understanding what we're supposed to do (not that that's our fault), and some may be a few oversights. I've always had good luck with the language stuff, but some others (yourself included, obviously) have met with less success.

Sorry to hear your documents do this reverting thing. If it just happens with some (or most) documents, but not all, if you haven't already you might use the "Report a Bug" feature and send Nisus one of your documents that always reverts.