Express Sneak Peek Feedback Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Nisus New File and margins

Post by martin »

jwx1 wrote:a6 does not use the default template, either when first opening, or when 'new' be selected from the menu.
Have gone into prefs to edit the newfile template: template is correct,(yes, have redefined and saved) but the actual newfile opened is not.

eg: side margins in template 125, 125
side margins in newfile are 72,72.
Sorry about this, we made a change for alpha 6 so that new documents will always have the same paper settings that a user has set in their system preferences. Unforunately the change was a little too drastic, and now margin settings in your Nisus New File are also ignored. This will be fixed in our next release.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: ligatures a6

Post by martin »

jwx1 wrote:Still am not seeing any ligatures with typing or menu command unless pasted text already contains them confirmed in another text editor.
I do not use ligatures much, but this test works for me:

1. Open Nisus Writer Express.
2. Type the word "This".
3. Select all and choose the "Zapfino" font.
4. The "Th" are properly joined in a ligature.

I can then use the entries "Use None" or "Use All" in the "Format > Ligature" menu to enabled/disable the "Th" ligature.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you. If it does work for you, the problem could be related to your font or otherwise. Please send us a test document that fails to use ligatures using the "Report a Bug" menu (in the "Help" menu in Express).
jwx1

Ligatures

Post by jwx1 »

The th ligature is a rare one in typography.

The most common are fi and fl.

Open new default page in a6.
Type fi and fl
Select face 'Georgia" (Standard Mac font, contains fi and fl ligs))
Select Use all ligatures in menu.

I get no ligatures

When I cut and paste this text into another word processor, I get ligs.
If I then cut and paste back into a6, no ligs.

The difference seems to be that Zapf and some others are dfonts, for which ligatures seem to work, and most other fonts (all fonts not supplied by Apple) are either standard Postscript, true type or OpenType, for which ligatures do not work in Nisus.

The majority of fonts are not dfonts.

To my knowledge, no 3rd party fonts are supplied as dfonts.

Hope this helps.

John
gemboy27

do you need 10.4

Post by gemboy27 »

I am experimenting with alpha 6, but have 10.3.9. Are their things I am missing because I don't have 10.4 OS
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
jhecht

Spell checking in alpha

Post by jhecht »

Has anyone using the latest alpha verified that the spell-checking bug which causes the loss of letters following the flagged word is fixed? I am still on 10.3.9 and it's not clear from what I read if the latest alpha will work with that version. Because I write for a living, I don't have a lot of time to play with alphas that could mess things up.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Seems to take a *long* time to close a window (pretzel+w) for me. Otherwise very nice.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: do you need 10.4

Post by martin »

gemboy27 wrote:I am experimenting with alpha 6, but have 10.3.9. Are their things I am missing because I don't have 10.4 OS
I think the only feature that requires Tiger (10.4) is full support for right to left text.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Spell checking in alpha

Post by martin »

jhecht wrote:Has anyone using the latest alpha verified that the spell-checking bug which causes the loss of letters following the flagged word is fixed? I am still on 10.3.9 and it's not clear from what I read if the latest alpha will work with that version. Because I write for a living, I don't have a lot of time to play with alphas that could mess things up.
The spell checking bug you refer to has indeed been fixed. Also, alpha 7, which was just posted, should run on 10.3.9.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

midwinter wrote:Seems to take a *long* time to close a window (pretzel+w) for me. Otherwise very nice.
The new alpha (number 7) should significantly improve this.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

And a final post to this thread in case anyone missed it: alpha 7 is up now. This new alpha should run on any version of 10.3 (Panther). Try it out:

http://www.nisus.com/SneakPeek/
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

martin wrote:
midwinter wrote:Seems to take a *long* time to close a window (pretzel+w) for me. Otherwise very nice.
The new alpha (number 7) should significantly improve this.
You are a master of understatement. With 5 60+ pages long NWE documents open, the thing shuts down instantly.

Well done!
jwx1

Still no ligatures

Post by jwx1 »

except for Apple supplied fonts in 2.5a7.
Sorry to be a constant complainer, but ligs ARE on the menu.

Running 1Mac G5, Tiger 10.4.2 1Gig, 160 Gig

Thanks for your efforts.

John
Birmingham AL USA
jwx1

Hotheads

Post by jwx1 »

So I posted a small cavil about ligs:

this was returned:

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 451 : Temporary lookup failure

DEBUG MODE

Line : 164
File : /home/.ahi/nisus/nisus.com/forum/includes/smtp.php

but the message posted. Just FYI
John
Cocoapastor

List crash in alpha 7

Post by Cocoapastor »

In alpha 7, select a list style. Type.
Then select Format/list/use none. The result is an immediate crash.

OS 10.4.2
gemboy27

bravo?

Post by gemboy27 »

Can I guess by the lack of activity on the support forums that NWE, in various verisons are moving along quit nicely?

I have alpha 7
and it has been very responsive.

pet peeve: remove command ' from the short cut, all other programs use that to move from window to window.

thank you, good job
George
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)