nisus won't start in Tiger

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
iNic

nisus won't start in Tiger

Post by iNic »

After upgrading to Tiger my Nisus 2.1.2 freezes at startup while showing the splash with the text 'finding fonts...'. Anyone else that got this problem?

I'm deinstalling the fonts that I have to see if it's a font that cause the problem but the cause can be something else of course.
iNic

just upgraded to 2.1.3...

Post by iNic »

...but the problem remains. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the fonts either. Must be something else on my machine causing this...
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Can you try deleting your Nisus Writer Express preferences file? The file is located at:

~/Library/Preferences/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist

(The "~" stands for your Home directory)

Also, before you delete it, can you save a copy? If deleting the file does solve your problem, send that copy to expressfeedback@nisus.com so we can have a look. Thanks.
iNic

it works!

Post by iNic »

If I wait an eternity the splash goes away and I'm ready to go! :-) But, to open a new document takes over 7 minutes... Every time...

I'll delete the preference file and see if that helps. If it does I'll send you the old file. Thanx for the advice.
iNic

still same delay

Post by iNic »

Even when deleted the pref file the delays are present. I'm removing the Nisus New File.dot-file now to see if that helps somewhat.
charles

Post by charles »

iNic,

When Nisus shows this message during launch, it is waiting on Tiger to provide a list of all the fonts installed on your system. For some reason, when some people upgrade to 10.4, OS X starts taking a long time to find these fonts.

Deleting the preferences will sometimes solve this problem. You might also want to make sure that your printer settings are working and that you have internet access working. I know these don't seem to be related, but these appear to be the places where OS X gets stuck looking for fonts.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
iNic

Post by iNic »

Yes internet is working fine but to print appears to be a problem! From any application. So we might have the cause here. :-) Do you happen to know how to make Tiger print happily again? Deleting some printer prefs maybe?
charles

Post by charles »

I would try deleting your printers and setting them up again perhaps? Look for the Printer Setup Utility inside the Utilities folder in your Applications folder.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
MacUnix

Post by MacUnix »

iNic wrote:Yes internet is working fine but to print appears to be a problem! From any application. So we might have the cause here. :-) Do you happen to know how to make Tiger print happily again? Deleting some printer prefs maybe?
Are you using a Netinfo directory on the network ?
If so check the settings in the directory access tool. If have a fixed IP adress for my server instead of using bootp or dhcp protocol. Tiger resetted my manual settings to the automatic ones. After I revered the settings to my manual ip setting for the server all wordked fine again and Nisus started up normally again.

Ron
JVerity

Post by JVerity »

I installed Tiger, immediately had trouble with NWE 2.1.1 opening: Seemed to hang while looking for fonts. I was trying to open a .DOC file that had a '/' in its name (my doing, not the author's); also, the icon for this file, which I had obtained off the Web previous to Tiger, no longer showed the Nisus Express Guy (he have a name? - Nisus?) logo; instead, the icon was blank.

An RTF file created in Nisus had no problem opening, however.

I then downloaded 2.1.5, sneak peek style, and still had the same problem opening that .DOC file. But then, guess what? I changed that '/' to a '-' and the icon immediately corrected itself, showing Nisus Express logo, and NWE had no problem opening it, either.

Software moves in mysterious ways.
iNic

problem solved!

Post by iNic »

Thank you Ron, that solved the problem! :-D