Clarification for a New iMac User

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
mcgreenx

Clarification for a New iMac User

Post by mcgreenx »

It may be obvious to everyone else, but I'm confused about the difference between Writer and Writer Express, and what is OS X Classic. I have a new iMac (am a recent PC convert), hate Word for PC, love WordPerfect.

What is the difference between Writer and Writer Express?

Can Tiger use both?

I am trying the Express demo, which I know will work with .wpd files. Do both Writer and Writer Express read WP files?
charles

Post by charles »

Hello:

Nisus Writer is the word processor we developed for the original Mac OS starting in 1985. In 2000, Apple switched to a brand new operating system called Mac OS X. Under this new system, some very old applications, such as Nisus Writer, no longer would worked.

At that time, we decided to create a brand new word processor that would be easier to use and that would take advantage of the unique features of Mac OS X. This is Nisus Writer Express. It is our current product and I highly recommend it.

Nisus Writer Express is the only word processor that supports the WordPerfect format. (Our support will get even better in our soon-to-be-released FREE upgrade.) Also, new files that you save in NWE will be in RTF, the most widely supported word processor format on the planet. Anyone with WordPerfect or Word can open and use these files.

We are still adding features to Nisus Writer Express so if you find something you need, please let us know. Nonetheless, we think it is the best word processor on the Mac for serious writers. It has a number of unique tools and its exceptionally pleasant to use.

Thanks for checking us out!

Cheers,
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
cchapin

Re: Clarification for a New iMac User

Post by cchapin »

mcgreenx wrote:It may be obvious to everyone else, but I'm confused about the difference between Writer and Writer Express, and what is OS X Classic. I have a new iMac (am a recent PC convert), hate Word for PC, love WordPerfect.
Likewise. I switched last year from WordPerfect for Windows to a Mac and Nisus Writer Express. Though Nisus Writer Express lacks a lot of WordPerfect's features at this point, it seemed to me to hold the most potential of the various Cocoa word processors I've tried, so I've settled on it.
mcgreenx wrote:What is the difference between Writer and Writer Express?

Can Tiger use both?
I think Charles answered this. Tiger will run NWE but not NW.
mcgreenx wrote:I am trying the Express demo, which I know will work with .wpd files. Do both Writer and Writer Express read WP files?
I don't think that NW will open WordPerfect documents. I haven't tried this to be sure. NWE does, though of course the import is not perfect if the document contains fancy formatting. I was happy to hear from Charles that this will improve in a forthcoming version. One of the things that sold me on Nisus Writer Express was its support for WordPerfect documents.

--Craig
mcgreenx

Thanks...

Post by mcgreenx »

...for you prompt and helpful responses. I need to do some more research on this new (for me) Mac world, but it looks like Nisus is what I will settle on.
irev

Post by irev »

Welcome to the Mac world. Nisus may have rushed earlier versions of Nisus Writer Express to market, (a lot of growing pains for all parties) but they seem to be right on track now. You won’t go wrong purchasing Nisus Writer Express.
Robin Hood

Post by Robin Hood »

I bought Nisus Writer Express a few months ago, and don't regret it. And it looks like 2.5, which will be a free upgrade, is looking even better (you can also download a test version of it if you own NWE, which works perfectly).