numbered lists? outlining?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Stoic

numbered lists? outlining?

Post by Stoic »

I need a good word processor that includes numbered and bulleted lists, outlining, etc. So far as I can tell, Nisus does not yet support this. Is this true? If so, how soon will Nisus provide these capabilities?
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hi, Stoic. If you're willing to work with the sneak peek version, you can have all that you're looking for. I'm running it under Panther (10.3.9) and it seems to run fine, despite the disclaimers on the sneak peek page. Being alpha software, though, it does give me a fair number of error messages. Bullets, numbering and outlines, however, have presented no problems.

--Craig
rick

Post by rick »

so am I to take it that the next formal release will have numbered/bulleted lists?

any estimates on when it will at least move to beta-level stability?

i'm on the front end of searching for a Word alternative and, frankly, I like a LOT about NWX but am simply astounded that a word processor could hang around this long without such basic functionality. There is no point in my even attempting to demo the current version until this functionality is present and at least relatively stable.

coming from a software development background, i'm not real big on toying with alpha product. i have work to do.

i'm looking forward to trying NWX when this functionality is present. hope that's soon, because the more i use Word the more i hate it.
rick

Post by rick »

so am I to take it that the next formal release will have numbered/bulleted lists?

i'm on the front end of searching for a Word alternative and, frankly, I like a LOT about NWX but am simply astounded that a word processor could hang around this long without such basic functionality. There is no point in my even attempting to demo the current version until this functionality is present and at least relatively stable.

coming from a software development background, i'm not real big on toying with alpha product. i have work to do.

i'm looking forward to trying NWX when this functionality is present. hope that's soon, because the more i use Word the more i hate it.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

rick wrote:so am I to take it that the next formal release will have numbered/bulleted lists?

It's in beta now. The 3rd one. Works fine for most things.
NW got re-written in the switch to OS X, and so the guys are playing catchup in terms of functionality.
I took 300 pages of notes in the British Library this summer in NWE without any problems. I then wrote up an academic essay of 36 pages in Omni Outliner then moved it into NWE without a hitch. In other words, I've got work to do, too, and NWE works quite nicely.

The only problems I've had have been with tables in b2, but they seem to have fixed that in b3. I'm giving it a workout today and tomorrow, though, so we'll see just how fixed it is....
the more i use Word the more i hate it.
I feel your pain. Word drives me insane. One of the nice things about NWE, regardless of its current limitations, is that it gets out of your way and lets you write. It also doesn't have the stupid widow and orphan bug that's been in Word since 1997 where it doesn't honor the preference to keep them together.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I love the newest beta. That's all I have to say. Man, this program rocks.

Don't worry about the "beta" moniker. This thing is fairly stable, in my use. Granted, I pretty much just do straight-up writing, with little in the way of francy-dancy tables or lists or googledy-gadgets, but the thing rocks my world. And this beta seems ready to me. I use it for my day-to-day work, no looking back.

The lists/bulleted stuff works very well. Much less intrusive and much prettier than the crap M$ foists on its users.

Nisus has announced that the price will go up a smidge with the next full release, so if you buy now you'll save a bit and still get an upgrade to 2.5.

Microshaft Nerd lives in the (in)stability of alpha-quality software. You won't be moving backward. Not to mention the program is a fetid pile of compost. And it's overpriced. And I hate it.

And I hear Microsoft eats babies.
dshan

Re: numbered lists? outlining?

Post by dshan »

Stoic wrote:I need a good word processor that includes numbered and bulleted lists, outlining, etc. So far as I can tell, Nisus does not yet support this. Is this true? If so, how soon will Nisus provide these capabilities?
If you don't want to wait for 2.5 you can add this functionality to the current -- 2.1.3 -- release via 3rd party macros. I've been using the <A HREF="http://homepage.mac.com/redbird/iblog/G ... .html">Red Bird Island </A> macros that provide this since NWX 1.x.
rick

Post by rick »

thanks for the feedback, guys. i'm ok using beta versions, but what i'd read about on another thread indicated it was still alpha.

i just downloaded it, can't wait to try it. i use Ulysses for about half of my text construction projects, Word for the other half. Am looking forward to seeing how NWX replaces Word and complements Ulysses.

ryan, very funny riff on Word. I've heard the same thing so it MUST be true.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

rick wrote:ryan, very funny riff on Word. I've heard the same thing so it MUST be true.
The Nisus forum couldn't print it if it weren't.

:shock: <-- ridiculous, bald-faced lying face