3.0 Feature Request List

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
JBL

Post by JBL »

midwinter wrote:Is it my imagination, or am I not able to tell NWE to change the page numbering? That is, can I not tell NWE "begin numbering at..."?
If you go to the section pallette there is a place to enter the number of the "Starting Page".
jzents wrote:I could not figure out how to make it skip the first page either.
The sections pallette has a check box for "Different First Page." Check it.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Well I'll be damned! Forgive me, Nisus! Forgive me!
Jzents

Post by Jzents »

Not where I was looking but that works just fine. I repent in dust and ashes.
Jeffrey Zents
jzents@mac.com
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Jzents wrote:I repent in dust and ashes.
I think that's the proper attitude.
jdien

change tracking

Post by jdien »

My major need would be change tracking. Pretty much all my writing is done with collaborators. It makes things hugely easier when I can use change tracking to see what kind of changes my collaborators are suggesting and be able to cancel them if I don't agree with them. I really hate Word so I would switch apps like the wind if I could find a reliable word processor that has change tracking.

Cheers!

Joe
dragon

Request of features not menthined before.

Post by dragon »

Let me also jump in.
Some requests that haven’t been made yet.

1. LINE CURSOR. This underlines the line your cursor (I beam) is, and moves up and down as your cursor does. It makes much easier to find where your cursor is on the monitor. This feature can be found in a editor “LightWayText”. Very very handy.

2. Front End. Front end where you can open and manage several of Nisus documents, that are, may be in one folder. When writing long documents, you can split them up in several different files, keep these in one folder, and open, edit, manage them. There is a program called “Alepin” that handles simple RTF files but the feature is limited.

Some other thoughts.

- More tight integration with Bookends, as request by Craig Turner. A discussion is going on in Macintouch, many people is interested in bibliographic softwares. I am personally a fan of Bookends, but the integration between Nisus is not as tight as between Mellel. There is even a script in Bookends for Nisus that is not working in recent builds of Nisus (worked before). Sente, another bibliographic soft is also getting closer with Mellel. This means that many people having references may go for Melle, not for Nisus, even you can still easily scan Nisus files in those softwares. It would be another good selling point.

- Tracking changes (comparing two documents), full screen mode, many features from Nisus Classic and a lot of other mentioned would be great.
nspy

Post by nspy »

My list of things I use every day in NWC but missing in action on NWE:

- mail merge, or at least file include (what I use mail merge for--assemble chapters into a book)
- invisible text style; allows me to keep html markup in a document and still print it WYSIWYG
- macros; ability to record same
- ability to compare two documents

I'd also like to be able not to have a header/footer at all--set space for same to zero.

Without at least the first two, I have to keep classic running. How after Intel?

Rick
Mac column: http://TheNorthernSpy.com
Texts and SF: http://arjay.ca
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

nspy wrote:Without at least the first two, I have to keep classic running. How after Intel?
Well, will you really be buying a MacTel the instant they come out? The full transition for most of us will take some time (not unlike the switch from NW Classic to NWE, in some ways).

This could be good for you, I suppose.

I really think that Nisus will have made NWE even more indispensable by the time the Intel switch is in full swing.
foobar

deal-breakers

Post by foobar »

Just chiming in to say that the current reasons I -- and the other academic writers I know -- can't use Nisus Express are lack of TOC and indexing. These are the most important features for long documents that are missing, and ought to be there already.
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

When I look at my list, I feel like crying out: My, oh my, how similar to what Nisus Writer Classic aready had are my requests! Anyway, please Father Nisus X-mas bring me:
- finding the cursor exactly where I left it when I reopen a document
- soft hyphenation (I write in French, and some of the automatic hyphens have a way of being strange)
- cross-references
- pre-packaged macros
- TOC and indexing
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, BECAUSE I AM A SECURITY FREAK, and sometimes not so well organized when I stop writing something
- AN AUTOMATIC BACK-UP in another location, determined by me. It saved so many almost-lost texts in Nisus Classic, that I think of it every day, even now.
I associate myself to the other writers in asking for the different things thy mention which become compelling when books have from 100'000 words on.
Anne
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

All you people with your 100K word files! I feel so...inadequate with my little 10K word essays.

:cry:

Hrm. Why is there not an emoticon for "maudlin"?
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

midwinter wrote:All you people with your 100K word files! I feel so...inadequate with my little 10K word essays.

:cry:

Hrm. Why is there not an emoticon for "maudlin"?
I know. I think these people sneeze novels.

If you close the word count palette, you can pretend that your file is 100,000 words :)

I'll just go back to using my SimStapler to affix my 100k word document to the U.S. Constitution.
Last edited by Ryan on 2005-09-24 17:34:44, edited 1 time in total.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Ryan wrote:I know. I think these people sneeze novels.

If you turn close the word count palette, you can pretend that your file is 100,000 words
Well, I stayed up all night writing, and I think I got it:

:D
shades

Post by shades »

:shock:

That must be in NWE 7.2? ;) :D
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08