Substitute for glossing?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Craig Turner

Substitute for glossing?

Post by Craig Turner »

I see a "glossing" function has been talked about (well over a year ago on the forum) so perhaps this will be a function added in the not-too-distant future.
In the meantime, does anyone have a way to make a substitute kind of glossing? I'm working in Pinyin/Traditional Chinese/English within Express--love the operation of second language switching!--and I'd like to do something that approximates the gloss thing. Even wondered if a table (invisible box) would work, or maybe superscripts?

Anyhow, as this beginning student in Chinese fumbles about, do any Nisoids have suggestions?

Much thanks,
Craig Turner
woodson

Substitute for glossing?

Post by woodson »

As another beginning Chinese student I'd like to know more about what you mention. Seems like I remember glossing as a part of Classic, but didn't use it as I didn't need anything like it then. Now I might, if I understood what it was.

Thanks, Woodson
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I invite Craig to correct (or extend) what I'm about to say, but basically gloss lets you display a bit of additional text just above your normal text. One of the uses in some Asian languages for this, as I understand it, is to display a more common word form for a particular word above the other form. Eg: Furigana and Katakana.

So, as to gloss in Express: unfortunately we don't currently have it. You could approximate it using tables with invisible borders, but this would not be a feasible approach if you wanted to include the word/gloss inline with other text. But if you were making a word list, or something similar, a table would work nicely.