Official Express 2.6 Beta thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Chris

Post by Chris »

joehardy wrote:
martin wrote:Sorry Chris, but you'll have to wait for a major release for such a large feature.
And once that comes, NWE will have just about everything I need.
Yep, indeed! But that'll be too late for my exam paper. Bummer! :?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chris wrote:
joehardy wrote:
martin wrote:Sorry Chris, but you'll have to wait for a major release for such a large feature.
And once that comes, NWE will have just about everything I need.
Wow, do you really need a table of contents for your exam paper? Impressive. :shock:
joehardy

Post by joehardy »

Ryan wrote:
Chris wrote:
joehardy wrote: And once that comes, NWE will have just about everything I need.
Wow, do you really need a table of contents for your exam paper? Impressive. :shock:
Must be some exam!
I'm working on a series of non-fiction short stories (one was published some years ago) and I don't write them in order, but as I recall them (it's a sort of memoir thing), so I've found Pages TOC feature very handy for inserting each story as a different section and have the TOC update. I know this can be done in Word, but not intuitively. I now do all my writing of new stories in NWE, then copy into the "master" in Pages. Once TOC is added, I won't have to do that.

But I sure don't want to take an exam that's long enough to need a table of contents! :P
In fact, since I'm a college professor, I also don't want to create one that long - or grade it!
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

joehardy wrote: In fact, since I'm a college professor, I also don't want to create one that long - or grade it!
/me remembers the stack of grading from this past semester.... No kidding. Now, if I could just figure out a way to do a multiple choice essay....
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

midwinter wrote:
joehardy wrote: In fact, since I'm a college professor, I also don't want to create one that long - or grade it!
/me remembers the stack of grading from this past semester.... No kidding. Now, if I could just figure out a way to do a multiple choice essay....
A multiple choice essay... that would be beautiful! Philosophy would be so much easier!

Completely off-topic: "/me"... do you play Uru? (could be that other folks besides Uru players use that, but I hadn't seen it before)
cchapin

Section breaks

Post by cchapin »

I miss the visible section breaks and page breaks in draft view. I wonder whether this was an intentional omission or an oversight?

--Craig
cchapin

Autosave option

Post by cchapin »

I am very happy to see the new Preference option in 2.6 (beta 4) that lets users choose to "Autosave only to temporary backup files" instead of having to overwrite existing files. Thank you for implementing this. It makes me feel much more secure.

--Craig
Ryan

Re: Autosave option

Post by Ryan »

cchapin wrote:I am very happy to see the new Preference option in 2.6 (beta 4) that lets users choose to "Autosave only to temporary backup files" instead of having to overwrite existing files. Thank you for implementing this. It makes me feel much more secure.

--Craig
Yes, yes, yes!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Section breaks

Post by martin »

cchapin wrote:I miss the visible section breaks and page breaks in draft view. I wonder whether this was an intentional omission or an oversight?
They should be there... are you sure "show invisibles" is turned on for that document?
gemboy27

yes

Post by gemboy27 »

The with that view, I could see the section break.
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
DavidK

opening templates

Post by DavidK »

It seems that when I open a template file in 2.6b4, modify it and save it, it overwrites the template. That is, rather than opening a template as an "untitled" file, it opens the template itself as a document. I messed up two of my stationary/letterhead templates before I noticed the problem!
gemboy27

didja

Post by gemboy27 »

Was the box: "open as new file" checked when you open the file.

btw, I LOVE LOVE LOVE, how the b4 opens files to to the place in the file where you left the cursor. when you are working on something, that is where I want to go back to.
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

martin wrote:
cchapin wrote:I miss the visible section breaks and page breaks in draft view....
They should be there... are you sure "show invisibles" is turned on for that document?
No, it wasn't. I turn invisibles on and off and never realized that the section breaks were considered invisibles -- I guess because they aren't represented in my chosen invisibles color. Thanks for clarifying this.

--Craig
gemboy27

hmmm

Post by gemboy27 »

that is interesting, I have

----------------- Section Break (Next Page) -------–––––––––––––––––

with a G4 10.3.9
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

cchapin wrote:
martin wrote:
cchapin wrote:I miss the visible section breaks and page breaks in draft view....
--Craig
I have invisibles on and there are no visible page breaks in Draft View, even though invisibles are in black. X10.4.3 1Gb Ram

Tacitus
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.