language support in NWX 2.6

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Reiner

language support in NWX 2.6

Post by Reiner »

where can I find informtion about which languages supports NWX 2.6? best would be a website.

in detail I want to know which languages are supported in
1. spell checking and
2. hyphenation.

I know that I could use additional spell checking software, but I want to know which languages are supported out of the box.

thanks in advance.
HeatherKay

Post by HeatherKay »

Try here... >>Clicky<<

I'm not certain, but I think NWE uses the languages installed with the OS. So, if your default system language is German, then NWE uses German. And I think you can change that as you work, so passages in your text could be in any other language you want.

(I haven't tested this, mind, since I have enough trouble with one language -- my own!)
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

thanks, but there is no information about which languages are supported in spell checking and hyphenation. I found only that about 180 languages are supported but I think that only means that it's possible to write them. also, which languages this are is not said.

any further informations are welcomed.
ninjagame

Language Support in NWX 2.6

Post by ninjagame »

Reiner,

Frankly speaking I don't understand what your point is, exactly. Are you looking for one specific language? In that case, the question should be: Is that specific language supported by NWX? Or do you just want a list of languages? If so, it begs the question, To what point?
Sorry if I offended you but I'm just being curious.

ninjagame
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The spell-checking and hyphenation, I'm almost certain, are the same as your system. I have custom spelling dictionaries built-up in both English and Spanish, that I've added while using Mail, OmniWeb, NWE, etc. So, if I set the language of the text I'm typing to Spanish, that system-wide dictionary is available.

Mac OS X has built-in dictionaries for quite a few languages. Odds are good it has yours.

The thing you won't have is the thesaurus. That is a Nisus frontend to a thesaurus that, as far as I can tell, is English-only.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Oh man, I can't believe my questions are this complicated to understand. I thought they were precisly.

I don't look for a special language: I just want to know if there is a list (I think there must be one) which contains every language which is supported by NWX out of the box for spell checking and hyphenation. If this is identically with the Mac OS X supported languages, good. This doesn't make a difference for the list, eh? Also the reason I'm asking for a list of all languages and not for one or more special languages does not change the meaning of the question, doesn't it? But, this kind of philosophical contemplation doesn't lead to an output I fear.

To be more practical: I want to know it to input it to a comparison of different word alternatives on a German speaking apple related wiki. see http://apfelwiki.de/wiki/Tests/WordAlternativenTest05 for more details
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

Revelation!
Now it's clear.
But earnestly - I didn't want to lecture you on how to formulate your question and if it came out this way I apologize.
Anyway - I mean, you want to do a comparison of word processors and therefore you need a list of languages supported in hyphenation and spell checking. So, why didn't you put it this way in the first place? Everyone would have known what, exactly, your are looking for and why and wouldn't have spent time playing the game, Guess what I'm thinking.
Again - sorry it this comes out too harsh. No offense intended!

ninjagame