I'm worried about NWE upgrade pricing

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Robin Hood

I'm worried about NWE upgrade pricing

Post by Robin Hood »

How much will it cost to upgrade to NWE 3? I am worried that I will have to pay for it all over again, especially because I have an educational license, and unfortunately NWE 2 does not have many of the features I require, most significantly no text-wrap.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

I figure them's the brakes. How long has it been since they charged for an update? Since 2.0? That was what, a year ago? Personally, I'd like to see a "student bundle" like Mellel is offering—Bookends + Nisus for, say $70. That'd be a hell of a deal.
JBL

Post by JBL »

midwinter wrote:I figure them's the brakes. How long has it been since they charged for an update? Since 2.0? That was what, a year ago? Personally, I'd like to see a "student bundle" like Mellel is offering—Bookends + Nisus for, say $70. That'd be a hell of a deal.
I don't think they have ever charged for upgrades to NWE.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

This seems like a weird thing to be worried about, to me. Nisus hasn't charged for an upgrade for NWE ever. Adobe, Microsoft, etc. charge for every major upgrade (and some that aren't all that major at times).

So, if they charge for an upgrade, it will be like the rest of the industry. If they don't, bonus.

NWE is already quite reasonably priced, but I'm sure an upgrade would be small for what you'd get. Have a look at the upgrade prices for Nisus' slightly-larger brother, The Omni Group. Especially for students, it's like the price of a couple of six-packs or a few pints. :D
joao

Post by joao »

I've been fairly well astounded by the number of free upgrades Nisus has offered with NWE - far more than I expected.

The program has become one of my primary tools for getting work done, and I won't complain at all about paying for an upgrade. Compared to other software publishers, I think it's overdue.
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

I wouldn't mind paying for an upgrade, either. However, since most of us forum contributers are effectively freelancing as kind of beta testers here, it would be nice if there were a reduced price for owners of NWX 2.x licenses. It also depends on how much the upgrade would cost. But let's cross this bridge when we reach it... :wink:

ninjagame
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

ninjagame wrote:However, since most of us forum contributers are effectively freelancing as kind of beta testers here, it would be nice if there were a reduced price for owners of NWX 2.x licenses.
Wait. Y'all aren't getting paid for all this? Suckers. ;)
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

Uh, does that mean that you get paid? I mean, "paid" as in: Getting money for doing work?
Where does one get such a job?? :wink:
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

ninjagame wrote:Uh, does that mean that you get paid? I mean, "paid" as in: Getting money for doing work?
Um. No. Um. Ahem. I, uh. No. No "payment" *cough* at, um, all! ;)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We pay midwinter for his services by sending him old Nisus Writer Classic swag ;)

But just to be clear: we don't pay any beta testers for their work. And we certainly don't employ anyone to be a forum regular... well, except Dave, Mark, and I. But unfortunately we all have other duties as well.
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

martin wrote:But just to be clear: we don't pay any beta testers for their work. And we certainly don't employ anyone to be a forum regular... well, except Dave, Mark, and I. But unfortunately we all have other duties as well.
Just to be clear myself: I wasn't trying to suggest that Nisus would (or should) pay beta testers or employ forum regulars. But isn't it that you're supposed to do your job just because it's fun and not because of the money? :wink: My boss would surely see it that way.
So: No offense.

ninjagame
dave
Official Nisus Person

Post by dave »

midwinter wrote:
ninjagame wrote:Uh, does that mean that you get paid? I mean, "paid" as in: Getting money for doing work?
Well, it looks like we have a talker. You were told not to talk, it's in the contract.

Looks like you will have to visit the cooler for a few days.

Let this be a lesson for the rest of you!
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

dave wrote:
midwinter wrote:
Well, it looks like we have a talker. You were told not to talk, it's in the contract.

Looks like you will have to visit the cooler for a few days.

Let this be a lesson for the rest of you!
unsubscribe midwinter

crap. ;)
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Ooh, ooh! I didn't talk! Do I get a raise? :D
TimL

Post by TimL »

I wouldn't have a problem paying an upgrade price after such a long period either, but I would be curious about the ETA for 3.0 and whether it will be a paid upgrade for all users. I'm sure it's classified information, but I'm only asking because I haven't bought a license yet, and don't want to get hit twice within say a few months. That doesn't mean a delay of 3.0 would be good, of course, but there might be an optimal time to buy a license.