Many windows, one document?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
cstross

Many windows, one document?

Post by cstross »

Am I being really stupid again, or is there no way in NWE (I'm currently running 2.6.1, thanks) to open two or more windows onto the same document?

(I'm working on a long one, and like to keep a window open on some earlier text for reference while I'm working on new text. Virtually every WP I've used in the past decade supports either multiple windows, or at least splitting the current window into horizontal slices. But I don't see this in NWE, and selecting File->Open on the current document just foregrounds the existing window.)
Agnostus

Post by Agnostus »

I haven't found anything like this either, but I, too, am one of those who desparately needs it. As a PhD student I'm writing manuscripts with a reference section. When you're finished and want to check if everything is cited properly, multiple views of one document would REALLY come in handy.

What I'd like to see is a screen-splitting thing in the scrollbar, just like BareBones products have, or even MS Word.
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

This is important to me, too. I often refer to one part of a document when editing another part.

My solution is to duplicate the document in the Finder.
gemboy27

success

Post by gemboy27 »

Ben,

How does that work for you, when ever I have multiple documents, I always end up with a mistake in the back and forth

Without a multiple view I would just print out the document and use the hardcopy as a reference
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
mmm.johnson

multiple views = yes

Post by mmm.johnson »

Add me to the ever-growing cacophony of citizens for whom multiple views onto a single document are a much-loved feature from other WPs.

In Word, I use the split document panes all the time, as well as sometimes spawning a second window; especially these days when we all have large monitors, being able to look at different parts of a long document simultaneously is joyous. I miss this terribly in NWE.