copyright *** of topic, sort of

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
gemboy27

copyright *** of topic, sort of

Post by gemboy27 »

I was thinking about copyright for a couple rasons. One was I was listening to an audiobook (Murder at the Library of Congress, Margaret Truman). The major clue was someone left a CD with a bunch of 'notes' and the character was wondering who wrote the notes. I thought, jeez just go look at the (if it is a word file) properties.

Then I was wondering if in some what that would give you more copyright leverage, since it would say when it was created and by who...supposedly. Which doesn't happen with NWE.

How many writers copyright their materials. I have a stack of plays that I was going to copyright this summer and realized it is $45 a play, so I am now on the fence if I want to do that. I have lots of proof they are mine -- i.e. they have all been produced/performed.

What are the thoughts?

And is this something NWE should do, find a way to tag documents with an author?

Gem
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
midwinter

Re: copyright *** of topic, sort of

Post by midwinter »

Have you tried putting "© gemboy27" at the end of your plays?
joehardy

Re: copyright *** of topic, sort of

Post by joehardy »

midwinter wrote:Have you tried putting "© gemboy27" at the end of your plays?
Noting the date and author on each printed copy of a work, even if you haven't actually filed a copyright application, can give you protection until you actually publish a work.
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>
gemboy27

in the beginning

Post by gemboy27 »

I put it on the first page (title page) with name and date, but not every page.

So does that mean you do not send your work to the LOC, unless/when it gets published

Gem*Boy
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
midwinter

Re: in the beginning

Post by midwinter »

gemboy27 wrote:I put it on the first page (title page) with name and date, but not every page.

So does that mean you do not send your work to the LOC, unless/when it gets published

Gem*Boy
My understanding is that all sending it to the LOC does is register the copyright. The protections exist regardless of whether you have it registered, although they are somewhat more difficult to enforce.

When you publish something, the publisher usually deals with issues of copyright (and in some cases, you sign over your rights to the publisher).
gemboy27

what I have heard

Post by gemboy27 »

What I have heard is that if you put the © (c) on your work, or some even say it is copyrighted at inception, that you own the work. The grey area is that if someone takes your work and produces it as if it is theirs you have a little more trouble suing the person selling your work, but you can stop them from doing it more.

However, if you have the LOC seal of approval, you can take them to court.

I am not sure about it, which is part of the reason I wonder what others do.

Since I write plays, it is a little different than publishing a book. If someone was to produce one of my plays, they should pay me royalties (or a rental fee of some short). The likelihood of someone publishing my plays in a book is relatively small. Although I can see where a group that wants to put on a play as a fundraiser might think it is a good idea to use that play that Mr. Gem*Boy sent us to review ---- and what are the chances he is going to come to St. Louis to see if we are doing it or now. [Since I am a little potato, there is little I can do to stop them regardless if I have copyrighted the play or not.]

My thinking of actually doing the LOC thing is so the plays are owned by my estate.

Gem*
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Well, you can copyright the plays as a collection, which is a way of saving money.
gemboy27

really...

Post by gemboy27 »

What do you mean...

Like I have written 12 plays that have been put on by the local high school

and I have written about eight others put on by a community theatre group

all are murder mysteries, could I copyright them all at once? In looking at the LOC paperwork, I didn't notice that

gem*
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Think of it like a musician copyrighting an entire album rather than all of the songs individually.