greek characters

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
soliphint

greek characters

Post by soliphint »

Can someone point me to the way to type Greek letters, complete with needed accents such as grave, acute, etc.?
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Try using OS X's language (flag) menu extra to switch to Greek Polytonic. If you open Keyboard Viewer, you'll see that -, =, [, ], ;, ', and / are diacritics highlighted in orange. (Holding down option or shift+option gives you a few other options.) Press the diacritic you want, then the letter you want.

--Craig
ndcahill

Greek letters

Post by ndcahill »

To get different keyboards, go to System Preferences - International - Input Menu. Add the Greek Polytonic keyboard map to your input menu, and choose "show input menu in menu bar." If it wasn't already there, a flag will appear in the menu bar. Choose Greek Polytonic from the flag, and you'll have a Greek keyboard. There are a number of alternative Ancient Greek polytonic keyboard layouts available for the Mac: I like SophoKeys (http://www.sourcecod.com/sophokeys/), which allows you to type in Beta code if you want.

"Show Keyboard Viewer" under the flag menu will show a useful floating keyboard palette.

My system came with a keyboard shortcut - command-space - already set for switching keyboard layouts. This interfered with the keyboard shortcuts for Illustrator and Photoshop, however. To delete the system shortcut, you have to go to System Prefs - Keyboard and Mouse - Keyboard Shortcuts and turn off "Input Menu".
ndcahill

Greek letters

Post by ndcahill »

To get different keyboards, go to System Preferences - International - Input Menu. Add the Greek Polytonic keyboard map to your input menu, and choose "show input menu in menu bar." If it wasn't already there, a flag will appear in the menu bar. Choose Greek Polytonic from the flag, and you'll have a Greek keyboard. There are a number of alternative Ancient Greek polytonic keyboard layouts available for the Mac: I like SophoKeys (http://www.sourcecod.com/sophokeys/), which allows you to type in Beta code if you want.

"Show Keyboard Viewer" under the flag menu will show a useful floating keyboard palette.

My system came with a keyboard shortcut - command-space - already set for switching keyboard layouts. This interfered with the keyboard shortcuts for Illustrator and Photoshop, however. To delete the system shortcut, you have to go to System Prefs - Keyboard and Mouse - Keyboard Shortcuts and turn off "Input Menu".