Convert All UpperCase to Bold?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
midwinter

Convert All UpperCase to Bold?

Post by midwinter »

Hi.

Does anyone know how to get NWE to find all words in UPPERCASE and convert them to BOLD UPPERCASE?
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

Try this:

Use powerfind in the find/replace window:

In the 'find' window choose AZ from the 'wildcard' submenu, then choose 1+ from the 'Repeat#' menu. you should see in the window two grey ellipses, one with AZ the other with 1+.
check the 'whole word' below
find all.

all uppercase words should now be selected. now simply 'bold' them.

I hope this works for you.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Woot! That did the trick! Thanks!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

SWEET!

Huzzah for PowerFind!
scottwhitlock

Powerfind help...

Post by scottwhitlock »

Could someone please explain the Repeat functions in Powerfind in plain English? I have read the help and the manual (which seemingly are the same thing) and I can't make heads or tails of it. 0+, 1+??? What does it all mean!?!?!?

Also, for the life of me, I can't figure out how entering AZ 1+ selects all uppercase words.

Scott
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

It is not THAT complicated- only written for people who are used to programming...

1+ means that the expression you specified for the search appears at least one time in the sequence of letters, but could appear more than once:

example: if you search for the combination 'cd' and in your text you have a word 'cdab' and also 'cdcdab': if you simply search for 'cd' you will find three occurances. But if you just look for the appearance of cd in a certain word- no matter if once or twice then you specify 1+ and your search will show the first 'cd' word, and the second word as a single 'found'.
in practice, it means that if you replace 'cd' with 'ef' using simple find- you will get 'ef' and then 'efefab'. if you use search with 1+ you will get after replacement 'ef' and 'efab'.
you ask when is it useful? for example if you look for several spaces,periods etc which should appear only once, but you do not know how many exactly are there- if you want to replace multiple appearances with one.

Also, in this thread- midwinter wanted to find any uppercase word- meaning- a sequence of uppercase letters with no previous knowledge of the length of the words. the AZ wildcard (= general expression in NWE for any uppercase letter) allows to find a single uppercase letter. if you want a whole word- you need several occurances of AZ- otherwise your search will find also all capilatized words.. so using 1+ tells NWE that you are looking of a sequence of uppercase letters with the length 1 or higher. We also checked the 'whole word' option in the 'find' window to distiguish between ABCDef (which is not a whole uppercase word) and ABCD (which is).

the option 0+ is less obvious: it means that the expression you are searching for appears none or more times. this does not make sense if you use it on its own, since it will 'find' practically everything. But- if you use it in combination of phrases, it might be very useful.

for example- you may want to search for an expression that is followed sometimes by ',' sometimes by '-' and sometimes by '.' . you can use the 0+ to express that a letter (or an expression) may or may not appear in your text, therefore you generalize your search.

it came out long, that happens when programmers language is translated to normal peopels words. ut I hope it makes sense.
scottwhitlock

thanks...

Post by scottwhitlock »

i'm not sure if i still completely understand it, but that's a start. thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Scott
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

I think, it is very difficult to understand it theoretically. the problem in understanding is not figuring out the syntax, but defining exactly what you are searching for in your text.
I guess you never really needed these options, so you don't miss them. Once you need more delicate searches, and you know to define your needs, you will find the 'power find/replace' option very useful.. but why bother about it now?
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

Ruchama wrote: I guess you never really needed these options, so you don't miss them. Once you need more delicate searches, and you know to define your needs, you will find the 'power find/replace' option very useful.. but why bother about it now?
Whoa! Big assumption there and just plain wrong. Actually, I do need these options, hence my trying to understand them. PowerFind is one of the things that make Nisus Writer Express so good as a word processor (and so useful when you're writing a dissertation or a book). And, besides, it is not our jobs on this forum to be 'features' gatekeepers.

And I respectfully disagree with your argument. You can know exactly what you want to look for until the cows come home, and if you don't know how to use the tool, you'll just be sitting there with cows in your house, but with no results whatsoever.

Scott
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

Sorry scott,
did not mean to offend you in any way... In any case- if I can help with specific searches I am happy to do so..

Ruchama