2.7 bugs - parenthesis-enclosed "c" and quote mark

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Candace

2.7 bugs - parenthesis-enclosed "c" and quote mark

Post by Candace »

Hi,
When I try and type (c) in NWE 2.7, the program often converts the "c" to a copyright sign. If I leave the parenthesis open, then go back after typing a bit more and insert the close, it works. Still, it's annoying.

I also find that sometimes quotation marks at then end of a sentence are turned the wrong way - that is, they are set as opening marks rather than closing. Thanks. Candace
gemboy27

©

Post by gemboy27 »

if you type option 'g' you will have a copywrite c

that said

go into preferences

cmd-, (command comma)

go to quick fix
and remove the (c) from the list.

great season tigs!
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Candace

Post by Candace »

Brilliant! Thank you! Candace
Candace

Post by Candace »

I was so excited to discover the Quick Fix aspect that I (thought I) added a number of words I often misspell --- but although I now see them listed (and I've quit and come back), alas, no automatic corrections for any of the words I've added.

Is there a secret code I'm missing?

Also, I'm having a hard time doing the simplest heading format -- I try to line up the indent mark so that it I can type I., (no comma in actual text), then indent 5 spaces, then have following lines start 5 spaces in. I can get the following lines where I want them, but the first line indent seems just slightly off one way or the other. I'm sure there's an easier way than trying to figure if the indent should be at 1.91 or 1.89, isn't there? Thanks. Candace
peridot

Post by peridot »

Candace, I'm glad you mentioned the problem with the closing quote mark...happens quite regularly...it's hard to see on the monitor & annoying to have to go over printed pages to correct. Hope this bug is fixed on the next incarnation!
gemboy27

try

Post by gemboy27 »

Candace wrote:I was so excited to discover the Quick Fix aspect that I (thought I) added a number of words I often misspell --- but although I now see them listed (and I've quit and come back), alas, no automatic corrections for any of the words I've added.

Is there a secret code I'm missing?
Did you click the box: "Fix Typos"?

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Candace wrote:Also, I'm having a hard time doing the simplest heading format -- I try to line up the indent mark so that it I can type I., (no comma in actual text), then indent 5 spaces, then have following lines start 5 spaces in. I can get the following lines where I want them, but the first line indent seems just slightly off one way or the other. I'm sure there's an easier way than trying to figure if the indent should be at 1.91 or 1.89, isn't there? Thanks. Candace
Are you typing five actual spaces after the period? If so, try pressing the tab key instead. Does that work for you?

--Craig
Candace

Post by Candace »

Hi Craig,
Yes, I was pressing the Tab key -- the problem seems to be lining up the tab arrow with the exact spot of the line indent marker. And then I get a bigger space than that would explain either.
I am used to being able to set a tab at preset intervals (like 5 spaces) by pressing the Tab key - here I am manually dragging along the tab marker and it just doesn't seem to line up quite right with the line indents. Sigh. Candace
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Two ideas for you to try.

1. Don't bother with the tab set at all. When you set margins for a hanging indent, Nisus Writer Express automatically sets a tab at the left margin for second and subsequent lines. It doesn't appear in the ruler bar, but it is there.

2. Try double-clicking a tab arrow or a margin droplet in the ruler bar to bring down a window shade that will let you enter precise values.

--Craig