table of contents question

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
j355

table of contents question

Post by j355 »

From what I can tell, Nisus does not offer a simple way to create a table of contents.

Has anyone come up with a work around? How programmable are these macros -can they be made to do it?

thx.
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

Yes, I have been thinking about that too,
a macro should at least be able to be of some assistance with that?
BUT
I have been wondering about Nisus Writer Express 6.5
that they used to make the NWE User's Guide.
That version must have table of contents and indexing?
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Dirk_Barends wrote:Yes, I have been thinking about that too,
a macro should at least be able to be of some assistance with that?
BUT
I have been wondering about Nisus Writer Express 6.5
that they used to make the NWE User's Guide.
That version must have table of contents and indexing?
Nisus Writer Classic, you mean ... Fine app, but you need to be able to run Classic; no good on an Intel Mac.

Mark
dshan

Post by dshan »

You're dead right - NWX currently cannot create tables of content, nor indexes. This is a *very* frequently requested feature, as you'll see if you search the forums here. I don't think you could implement it in a macro, though I've not looked into it in any detail (it's not a feature I require, though I feel the pain of those that do ). :)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

There's no way you could make a macro that would create a TOC or Index. The critical issue is that there is no way for the macro to access page layout information, so your TOC and Index would be completely without page numbers, eg: useless.

But we know you guys want these features, so don't despair too much.
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

[quote="martin"]There's no way you could make a macro that would create a TOC or Index. The critical issue is that there is no way for the macro to access page layout information, so your TOC and Index would be completely without page numbers, eg: useless.

But we know you guys want these features, so don't despair too much.[/quote]

So there is no way for a macro to return the page number for a 'searched' item?

I was thinking for a solution in that direction, although I do not (yet) had time to learn Perl macros.
Personnally I often prefer macros to perform certain functions because they are optional. With Nisus (and Nisus Writer) I had (made) alll kind of macros for all kind of tasks.
HTML editing was very easy for me then for instance, and when not needed I used a totally different set of macros.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Dirk_Barends wrote:So there is no way for a macro to return the page number for a 'searched' item?
That is correct, it is not possible.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

martin wrote:But we know you guys want these features, so don't despair too much.
Could we expect this new version before or after Christmas 2007? :wink: It would be great to have this as a Christmas present from Nisus Inc to all of us. :D
Peter Edwardsson
shades

Post by shades »

MacSailor wrote:
martin wrote:But we know you guys want these features, so don't despair too much.
Could we expect this new version before or after Christmas 2007? :wink: It would be great to have this as a Christmas present from Nisus Inc to all of us. :D
Or do you mean Christmas 2006? That would be good!
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08