Changing Paragraph Spacing in Lists...

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
scottwhitlock

Changing Paragraph Spacing in Lists...

Post by scottwhitlock »

When I choose Bullet List, the spacing after is set to 12 pt. This is too large for my purposes and I would like it to be around 6 or less. I have tried editing the style, but when you select one of the list items in the Style Sheet, paragraph spacing is greyed out in the pallette. Am I having a brainfart here or is this not possible?

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

S.
Last edited by scottwhitlock on 2006-12-31 08:30:56, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

A little more on this. The Bullet List (and all of the list styles actually) takes its paragraph spacing from the paragraph style selected when you apply the list style. This is quite common across programs, as this is how Word and Pages works as well. So the workaround I have devised so far is to create a paragraph style that is based on Normal that changes post-paragraph spacing to 6pt, select the text, apply this style, and then apply the desired list style. Clunky, to say the least. Is there a more elegant solution that I'm overlooking?

Sorry guys. You all know that I'm a style junky. 8) But I'm having to edit 14 weeks of lecture notes that were written in Word and the list styles just don't translate that well.

S.
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Changing Paragraph Spacing in Lists...

Post by martin »

scottwhitlock wrote:I have tried editing the style, but when you select one of the list items in the Style Sheet, paragraph spacing is greyed out in the pallette.
Controlling the paragraph spacing, alignment, etc via a List style is not possible in this sense. However...
So the workaround I have devised so far is to create a paragraph style that is based on Normal that changes post-paragraph spacing to 6pt, select the text, apply this style, and then apply the desired list style. Clunky, to say the least. Is there a more elegant solution that I'm overlooking?
The more elegant solution is to create a new Paragraph style that is based on Normal (or whatever), has the paragraph spacing customized, and has the desired List style applied to it. Then when you apply this Paragraph style to your text the spacing and List style are automatically enforced. Hopefully I've explained this clearly.
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

Thanks Martin. Your explanation was perfect, and it worked.

I guess I was just doing it backwards (trying to apply paragraph to list rather than list to paragraph), but this doesn't surprise me in the least...:)

S.
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3