Next version?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
mhenhsaw

Next version?

Post by mhenhsaw »

Just wondering if there's an ETA for the next version of Writer Express? Will it be v 2.8 or are we making the jump to v3.0? Is the team holding out for the Leopard general release to take advantage of some nifty new under-the-hood features?

No pressure, just curious - - haven't seen anyone talking about it on the forum lately and it's been a while since 2.7 came out. I know *exactly* how tough it is for small companies to code software on a schedule...darned source code never wants to cooperate.
WallabySheryl

Post by WallabySheryl »

let's have patient man. It's not cooking by recipes
dshan

Post by dshan »

The assumption that there is going to be another (significant) release of NWX is perhaps unwarranted. The beta of Nisus Writer Pro is out and that's where all the action is nowadays. Really NWP is NWE 3.0 (it has new features! It fixes bugs! It looks very nice) but with a new name (presumably for marketing purposes) and an upgrade fee for existing NWX users (as yet unannounced as far as I know) attached.

Although Nisus may decide to maintain NWX (e.g. put out a 2.7.x with some of the known bugs fixed) alongside NWP it's hard to see how they could add any real new features to NWX (something that might justify a 2.8 or 3.0 moniker) without undermining the shiny new NWP product. That seems unlikely; I think NWX will be allowed to whither on the vine for a while, unpatched and unloved, after NWP is released before disappearing one day into the bit bucket of forgotten software. The king is dead, long live the king.