NisusWriter Pro

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Patrick J

Post by Patrick J »

dshan wrote:My biggest concern is that the dreaded "feature creep" will overwhelm Nisus and destroy the very reasons I started using it - simple, small footprint, speedy, reliable, low cost WP for the masses, not large arcane feature sets and impenetrable user i/f that destabilize the whole thing while making it hard to use and raising both the resource requirements and price to Microsoft-like levels. WriteNow is the model to follow, MS Word and NW Classic are the approaches to avoid.
Nisus Writer Classic is imho an excellent goal to adopt for Nisus Writer Pro.

As there is to be a "Pro" version and and "Express" version this does mean I guess that there'll be a lightweight "Express" and a comprehensive "Pro". This will be a bit like Nisus Compact and Nisus Writer of old I guess.

There were many excellent things about Nisus Writer Classic and I would love to see them implemented in Nisus Writer Pro.

They are greatly missed!

It would be great to see the return of the Catalogue for example. Better still would be the GIA based "Filing Clerk" in Compact. But there are many other things and it would not do any good to go into them all here (besides I'm too lazy).

However from what I can see Nisus Writer Pro is definitely a big step in the right direction.

I appreciate very much that some people want a lightweight word processor, so for that the best thing is to keep Nisus Writer Exrpress.

There are however quite a few people who want a good heavyweight word-processor like Nisus Writer Classic and I feel Nisus should continue to develop that and then once again be able to wear the crown of the "most powerful word-processor in the world" :)
Patrick
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Well, if they do go with a tiered pricing system, I'd like for the names to be consistent:

Nisus Writer Pro
Nisus Writer Amateur

or maybe

Nisus Writer Dilettante
Geordiekeith

Pro

Post by Geordiekeith »

I enjoy using Express and will continue to do so, but having to work in collaboration with colleagues and clients the only way I will "reinvest" in the Pro version is if it features automatic read/write of the new Word format. If not, I'll have to submit and buy the new Office when it is released - or perhaps my student daughter could buy it...
Tacitus

Re: Pro

Post by Tacitus »

Geordiekeith wrote:............ the only way I will "reinvest" in the Pro version is if it features automatic read/write of the new Word format. ....
Given that MS have not long released the specs for their format, I really can't see this version of NWPro supporting it. Neither will you be able to 'save as' in the new format. However, down the line version 3.X may well do.

Tacitus
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
joehardy

Post by joehardy »

Tacitus wrote:
Geordiekeith wrote:............ the only way I will "reinvest" in the Pro version is if it features automatic read/write of the new Word format. ....
Given that MS have not long released the specs for their format, I really can't see this version of NWPro supporting it. Neither will you be able to 'save as' in the new format. However, down the line version 3.X may well do.

Tacitus
This is going to be true initially of all "Word compatible" programs - Nisus, Mellel, Apple Pages, etc., etc.
I imagine a point update will be needed for all of them once the translators are released by MS.
Consider also that widespread adoption of Word 2007 will take some considerable time. I exchange Word documents with university students (and a lot of faculty and staff) and the majority of them aren't even using Word XP.
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

I think the other issue is that loads of folks will keep Word around simply for perfect compatibility and use Writer for the bulk of their writing. I keep Word and WordPerfect 3.5e on my machines but do 99% of my writing in NWE (except for table-y stuff because Writer doesn't have some of the advanced features I need).
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

Midwinter
And as an aside, Anne, I wish my French were better; I'd love to read one of your novels.
I'd love to read what you write as well. Couldn't we swap texts? You send me one of yours, and I send you (snail mail) one of mine. Not to stray too far from the discussion here, you could explain to me in a personal mail what your French is like, and I would choose a more or less easy book. I am told once you start a story of mine you cannot stop. That's how I learned English: I got hooked on Martin Eden, and at the end of the book I just went on using the language. Of course Jack London might be more efficient than Anne Cuneo - but who knows?
Anne
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

joehardy wrote:Consider also that widespread adoption of Word 2007 will take some considerable time. I exchange Word documents with university students (and a lot of faculty and staff) and the majority of them aren't even using Word XP.
Couldn't agree more ... many of my colleagues are using versions (Chinese Windows and Chinese Office) older than 98, and some of them--though it's even more true of Excel files--have to be run through MacLink Plus before they will open in anything!

Mark
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

xiamenese
I can't remember at what point in the development from 1 to 2.7 it was, but I'm pretty sure I remember paying an upgrade fee somewhere along the line
I think the last time we paid for something is IN SUMMER 2003, three and a half years ago. That was for NWE 1.0 as far as my files tell me... And then, it cost 60$, but one could update from Nisus Classic for 34.50$. So I am not going to begrudge another couple of $ for a better word processor which has cost me 10 $ a year so far!
By the way, NWP will work with 10.4 and won't need 10.5. Sure thing!
NWE works seamlessly with Windows XP which I have in the newsroom where I work, it exports and imports correctly even automatic page and section numbers now (it wasn't always so)
Anne
shades

New NWP Image?

Post by shades »

Is this the new NWP image:

NW Pro?
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Is this the new NWP image:
[snip URL]
No.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: New NWP Image?

Post by martin »

shades wrote:Is this the new NWP image:

NW Pro?
No, that's just a graphic we display on error pages. This is the new Nisus man graphic.
shades

Post by shades »

Thanks, I knew that it was an error page, that's how I found it. I have been known to make a few errors. :shock:

But I rather like the red. Must be my old age that is easily seduced by the bright color. ;) :lol:
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
midwinter

Re: New NWP Image?

Post by midwinter »

martin wrote:
shades wrote:Is this the new NWP image:

NW Pro?
No, that's just a graphic we display on error pages. This is the new Nisus man graphic.
He's very web 2.0
bbrowncashdollar

confessions

Post by bbrowncashdollar »

I'm very excited about NW Pro, will buy. The logo... well... not so much.

But I gotta tell you Hasselhoff and the banana, my god I'll never touch the fruit again. It's given me the creeps. Kinda like Dubya, gannon and army boots... OK don't... never mine, maybe it was a riding crop. What ever it was not good.