File format question

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
greenpea

File format question

Post by greenpea »

It's kind of fun to post on this forum, I was a heavy Nisus user many years ago (actually made a few users switch to Nisus) ... I was a beta tester and made all kind of fun things using the macros languages but for some reason I stopped using Nisus, I don't remember why anymore. Hehe, a search showed that some macro files I wrote approx 10 years ago are still available at this web site :)

Anyway, now and then I download a Nisus demo and play with but have never had any real use for it.

However, recently one thing has popped up that would make Nisus somewhat more useful for me but I'm a bit unsure of the details: does Nisus always save to a single RTF file, that is does it ever use RTFD files?

I've been looking for a wp that saves to a single file and never a bundle (and isn't spelled "Word").
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

Welcome back to the forum! NWX's native format is RTF. I collaborate with Word users and we have no trouble reading and writing each other's documents. Tables, lists, and columns translate just fine.

Possible formats of saved files, excerpted from the manual
• plain text
• HTML
• Microsoft Word (97 and later) format
• Nisus Macro
• Nisus Perl Macro
• Rich Text Format Directory (RTFD)
• Rich Text Format (RTF)
• Document Template (dot)
• PostScript
• PDF
greenpea

Post by greenpea »

Thanks.

Should I interpret this that as: No matter what a document contains Nisus natively saves the document as a RTF file (unless I export it to another format)?

The reason I ask is that I found applications that saves to a single file unless I paste pictures etc into document which causes the application to save the document to a bundle.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

greenpea wrote:Thanks.

Should I interpret this that as: No matter what a document contains Nisus natively saves the document as a RTF file (unless I export it to another format)?

The reason I ask is that I found applications that saves to a single file unless I paste pictures etc into document which causes the application to save the document to a bundle.
That is my experience with NWE. Just one single file and not a bunch of them.

Hopefully the new upcoming Nisus Writer Pro will give Nisus all (or nearly all) the features it has lacked since the Nisus Writer Classic version.
Peter Edwardsson
greenpea

Post by greenpea »

Thanks, jag får väl se om jag börjar använda Nisus igen
Patrick J

Post by Patrick J »

MacSailor wrote:Hopefully the new upcoming Nisus Writer Pro will give Nisus all (or nearly all) the features it has lacked since the Nisus Writer Classic version.
While I am delighted to see Nisus Writer Pro and I will be very keen to beta test and then download the completed version as soon as it is available I don't think that this first version of Nisus Writer Pro will have all or even nearly all of the features of Nisus Writer Classic.

However with optimism I think that perhaps a future version of Nisus Writer Pro will have all the features of Nisus Writer Classic and more.

The classic Nisus Writer really did do an awful lot. It had for example a graphic layer and graphic creation. It had terrific things like the ability to insert a page as a graphic which meant that Nisus Writer classic could be used very effectively as a desktop publishing program.

Nisus Writer classic had multiple file search and replace and even disc searching although the later was unreliable in my experience.

I really liked the Cataloque with Nisus Writer classic and many other things but it would be too boring for me to go on listing them :)

Of course I am comparing Nisus Writer classic version six with the beta of Nisus Writer Pro version one so it is not fair. After all the very first version of Nisus Writer classic was not so accomplished.

I am extremely pleased that Nisus are going on to create a word processor with some decent power. I think that a real alternative to Word would be great indeed to have. I do hope that Nisus retains Nisus Writer Express as an appliction for those that want a light simple word processor.

I don't want a light simple word processor, I want a powerful one :)

Like Greenpea I too created a lot of macros for Nisus Writer classic and indeed I had some bundled with version six, the "collapse/expand" macros are created by little me :)

I am going to have to get around to learning Perl so that I can start to really get something going with Nisus Writer Pro. I'm glad to see that with Nisus Writer Pro we can mix "Menu command" with Perl, I hope I've got that right.

With Nisus Writer classic the ability to mix the Nisus Macro Programming language with menu commands was very useful indeed.
Patrick
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

greenpea wrote:Should I interpret this that as: No matter what a document contains Nisus natively saves the document as a RTF file (unless I export it to another format)?
That is correct. All document content is saved as a single RTF file if that is the file format you choose.