Wordperfect import - how?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
bagboy

Wordperfect import - how?

Post by bagboy »

I try to open Wordperfect 11 files, but I get a message stating:

The format of the file 'document.wpd' is not recognized. Would you like to open it as plain text?

The document is a WordPerfect 11 document, consisting of one sentence with no formatting. Plain text is not how I want to open it.

How is this supposed to work, exactly?
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

bagboy,

I'm sorry you experience difficulties with Nisus Writer Express.

We have a bit of information about this on our FAQ. Over 800 people have checked it out.

http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=875

It says there:
Nisus Writer Express can open those versions of WordPerfect listed here:

http://libwpd.sourceforge.net/features.html
I'm sorry we can't do more for you.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
bagboy

Post by bagboy »

Well, that's too bad. The only piece of software missing from my OS X arsenal is a WordPerfect document editor - I was excited when I read that Nisus Writer could read WordPerfect documents, and I was prepared to buy it for this feature alone. I'm very disappointed to find that this is not the case.
foobar

Post by foobar »

Make sure the file name doesn't contain any periods. There's a bug opening WP documents whose name contains a period -- NWX seems to use file name extensions in a nonstandard way.
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

The freeware program NeoOffice can open WordPerfect docs and save them in RTF format, which NWE can open.

(I've read that NWE uses an older version of the WordPerfect conversion library used by NeoOffice.)