can't open .doc files any more

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
sickbar

can't open .doc files any more

Post by sickbar »

Hi.
I reinstalled osx a week ago an since then I cant open documents sent as .doc

Help?
dshan

Post by dshan »

Do you get some message(s) when you attempt to open them in NWX? If so what?

How are you attempting to open the Word files? By simply double-clicking the documents in the Finder or by using File>Open... in NWX? If it's the former then try using the File menu technique, it's likely that following the reinstall of OS X NWX is no longer defined as the default handler app for .doc files. To fix this ctrl-click (or select and cmd-i) one of the .doc files to bring up the file info window and use the "Open with:" drop-down to make NWX the application for it, and then use the "Change all..." button underneath it to propagate the change to all files of this type.

If it's still not working after this then can you open them using TextEdit? If you have Pages or some other Word-compatible application see if they can open them.
sickbar

Post by sickbar »

Hi.

All the other apps open the files (Mellel, textedit, pages etc.) I get no message other then that it can't open that type of file.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it - that the only thing that helped...
jonathandueck

Doc files "not recognized" in NWE 2.7

Post by jonathandueck »

I've got a similar problem with NWE on my Intel Mac Mini (Core Duo). When I try to open a .doc file using the File / Open in NWE, here's the message I get:

"The format of the file 'sample.doc' is not recognized. Would you like to open it as plain text?"

Very strange! It worked until recently; it might be since I installed the last update from Apple, I'm not sure. Reinstalling NWE does not fix the problem.

Any ideas? .doc files are important!

-Jon
xiamenese

Re: Doc files "not recognized" in NWE 2.7

Post by xiamenese »

jonathandueck wrote:I've got a similar problem with NWE on my Intel Mac Mini (Core Duo). When I try to open a .doc file using the File / Open in NWE, here's the message I get:

"The format of the file 'sample.doc' is not recognized. Would you like to open it as plain text?"

Very strange! It worked until recently; it might be since I installed the last update from Apple, I'm not sure. Reinstalling NWE does not fix the problem.

Any ideas? .doc files are important!

-Jon
Are these files ones you were able to open before? I have found that there is at least one particular flavour of Microsoft Office — I'm not sure which it is — that must save it's files with a different creator code for .doc files that Nisus doesn't like and for .xls files which other spreadsheets such as Mariner Calc or Tables don't like. My solution is to run them through MacLink Plus which solves the problem.

If you don't have MacLink Plus, but do have Pages and/or NeoOffice, you could try opening them in one of those and saving them out as RTF ... that usually works too. Boring, but gets round the immediate problem.

Mark
sickbar

Post by sickbar »

I was able to open those files before.
Opening another app, saving as and reopening them in nisus is a good idea, but a lousy approach (not intending to insult you or anything :-) ). The app opened it in the past and should keep opening it.

Ziv
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Can you send an example document for us to look at?
jonathandueck

I can send a file

Post by jonathandueck »

Sure, I'll send a file; where should I send it?
-Jon
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks- send it to expressfeedback@nisus.com
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

sickbar wrote:I was able to open those files before.
Opening another app, saving as and reopening them in nisus is a good idea, but a lousy approach (not intending to insult you or anything :-) ). The app opened it in the past and should keep opening it.

Ziv
Don't worry, I'm not insulted ... it is a lousy way to have to approach something, but at times it might be the only way to get the job done.
On the other hand, if NWE used to open those specific files, but doesn't any more, then it would seem to me that there's strange corruption that has crept in, and Martin and Co would be better placed to work out what.
Incidentally, you don't happen to have opened them in Pages in the meantime and saved them again as .doc from there. I found some time ago that NWE wouldn't open .doc files created by Pages ... I have avoided that risk ever since, but again, it's perhaps worth asking.
Yours
Mark
sickbar

Post by sickbar »

I only used pages to see if it would open the files. Generaly I don't use it as the main use for NWE is in Hebrew and pages doesn't support Hebrew very well.

ziv
jonathandueck

Now it works...

Post by jonathandueck »

Hi, all,

I rebooted the system, and now Nisus can read all the .doc files which it errored on several hours ago. I can still send a .doc file for feedback if it's helpful, but whatever the problem was, a reboot seems to have cleared it up — very strange, and sorry to clutter the bandwidth here.

-Jon