Importing Graphics

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Nick

Importing Graphics

Post by Nick »

Hi there

I have just started really playing with this app, and so far I like it. I do have one question, whenever I try and open a .doc file which has pictures in they do not appear in Nisus.

Is this normal?

Many Thanks

Nick
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Nisus Writer Express will not import floating graphics from ".doc" files. Normal (inline) graphics should be fine.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

martin wrote:Nisus Writer Express will not import floating graphics from ".doc" files. Normal (inline) graphics should be fine.
Hi Martin,
Dare we hope that there ought to be a "yet" between "not" and "import" ? :D

Mark
Nick

Post by Nick »

Marting

Thank you for the answer.

Being very stupid now - what is the difference "inline" and "floating"?

Will this feature be available in the new pro-version?

Nick
Patrick J

Post by Patrick J »

Nick wrote:What is the difference "inline" and "floating"?

Will this feature be available in the new pro-version?
Hi Nick

An inline graphic behaves like a character in text string. In fact some people call them "character graphics". Nisus Writer Express only supports character graphics at present. If you paste a graphic into NWE then you'll see that it is like a character in that it will move if you type before it, it will want to take a new line if it is pushed too far to the right etc.

A floating graphic behaves like a graphic in a drawing program. It is not a character in a line but rather its location is by reference to some point on the file. Generally if you select the floating graphic then you can just move it around on the virtual page easily.

A floating graphic is usually referenced to the page itself or a paragraph on the page, so if it is referenced to the latter then if you insert para's before the reference point it will move downwards with the para.

If the floating graphic is referenced to the page then it is most like the graphic in a drawing program in that it will not move at all if the text moves.

I know that Nisus Writer Pro will support floating graphics as well as inline graphics but I don't know if it will import floating graphics from Word.
Patrick
Nick

Post by Nick »

Patrick

Thanks for the explanation - it is much appreciated.

I have been trying to avoid using Word and using neo office, but it is so slow and still very much in Beta. However it does handle floating graphics imported from word, it is a real shame Nisus doesn't. I get quite alot of documents from clients in .doc format with graphics, so this is a bit of an issue for me.

Nick

PS - Brighton, a nice place to live
Patrick J

Post by Patrick J »

It would be great if Nisus Writer Pro included the ability to import floating graphics from Word.

I think Brighton is a marvellous place to live thank you :)
Patrick