Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
new version window 
Author Message

Joined: 2004-05-08 08:25:21
Posts: 23
my wife is a user of express 2.7. she doesn't want to upgrade to 3.0. is there a way we can stop that upgrade notice window from appearing every time she starts NWE? It's pretty annoying and is not endearing nisus to her. Why not a "don't show this notice again" version?


2007-10-04 07:21:23
Profile

Joined: 2007-02-12 15:55:30
Posts: 32
Post 
On the same topic, is there anywhere that the 2.7 version can be re-downloaded for those of us who have installed 3.0 but don't want to pay the upgrade fee? Or isn't this an option?

Jeff, I haven't seen the error message you're talking about (I might do should I be able to return to 2.7), but I suspect it wouldn't appear if Nisus Express was blocked from checking for updates. This can be done in preferences. If the error messages keep appearing, you might have to delete the Nisus plist file. This will wipe your preferences, so be sure to deselect the check for updates option as soon as you start it for the first time after wiping the plist file.

If it still comes up with the upgrade message you might have to use an application like Little Snitch, which blocks all programs from going online unless you give explicit permission.

http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

Little Snitch is a good idea because it should help protect against future malware.


2007-10-04 07:48:15
Profile

Joined: 2007-02-12 15:55:30
Posts: 32
Post 
r-sparks wrote:
On the same topic, is there anywhere that the 2.7 version can be re-downloaded for those of us who have installed 3.0 but don't want to pay the upgrade fee? Or isn't this an option?


Never mind - I've found it.

Version 2.7 (and older versions) can be found here:

http://www.nisus.com/Express/oldversions.php


2007-10-04 07:53:54
Profile

Joined: 2007-02-12 15:55:30
Posts: 32
jeffisme wrote:
my wife is a user of express 2.7. she doesn't want to upgrade to 3.0. is there a way we can stop that upgrade notice window from appearing every time she starts NWE? It's pretty annoying and is not endearing nisus to her. Why not a "don't show this notice again" version?


I've just checked and I was right. Click Nisus Writer Express -> Preferences and then remove the check from Application Updates: Automatically check for new version. This is on the General screen.

I think it's safe to say that this is now a useless feature unless you want to pay $30 for version 3.0, so disabling it does no harm.


2007-10-04 08:01:14
Profile

Joined: 2004-05-08 08:25:21
Posts: 23
many thanks. my wife will now be re-endeared.
i, on the other hand, after years of waiting in vain for the ability to add comments to my documents, have given up and have moved back to Word.


2007-10-04 08:33:16
Profile

Joined: 2007-02-12 15:55:30
Posts: 32
jeffisme wrote:
many thanks. my wife will now be re-endeared.
i, on the other hand, after years of waiting in vain for the ability to add comments to my documents, have given up and have moved back to Word.


Page 08 is pretty good for comments. I believe it can even open commented Word docs, which is a first for any word processor as far as I know, on any platform (some can open the docs but have dreadful commenting functionality, like Openoffice).

I speak here as a former literary editor who made heavy use of the commenting functionality of Word under Windows.


2007-10-05 10:34:55
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software