MS Word punctuation

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
trichards

MS Word punctuation

Post by trichards »

I've tried saving text files created in MS Word 5.1 in various formats but Nisus Express won't read quotation marks correctly. It displays a funny character instead.

Am I missing something?
charles

Post by charles »

You might want to make sure Nisus Writer is opening your text file using the correct encoding. It tries to guess when you open a text file, but sometimes it gets things wrong. You can select the text encoding by opening the file using "Open" from the "File" menu in Nisus Writer Express. Select from the Encoding pop-up menu.

If you are saving in MS Word 5.1, the text encoding is probably Mac Roman or Windows encoding.
trichards

Post by trichards »

Thanks. I selected Mac Roman and it worked, but can I get it to default to that setting or will it always open using "automatic"?
charles

Post by charles »

trichards wrote:Thanks. I selected Mac Roman and it worked, but can I get it to default to that setting or will it always open using "automatic"?
Right now there is no way to pick a default encoding, but that is a good idea. I will add it to our (long) list of features. I'm glad picking from the menu helped, though!

Cheers,
-Charles