Dropped Lines

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
MarioMilosevic

Dropped Lines

Post by MarioMilosevic »

I set up my document to have 23 lines on a page. However, if I enter a hard return on the 22nd line then Nisus puts a blank space under the 22nd line and puts what should be the 23rd line as the first line of the next page. This doesn't happen on any other line and it also doesn't happen if let the text wrap naturally on it's own. The only thing is, sometimes I have to start a new paragraph and I have to put in a hard return. I end up with a document with some pages being 22 lines and some others being 23 lines. It looks kind of unprofessional to have the pages varied like that. Anyone else encounter this glitch? Anyone know what to do about it?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Dropped Lines

Post by martin »

I would guess that paragraph spacing options (eg: space before/after) are the cause of the disparity. In other words, the inter-paragraph spacing is more than the inter-line spacing, even if they look to be the same, thus forcing the 23rd line to the next page if it happens to start off a new paragraph. Hopefully that explains it. If not, you might want to send us a copy of a document that exhibits the undesired behavior so we can see if there's other issues at work here.
MarioMilosevic

Re: Dropped Lines

Post by MarioMilosevic »

Thanks for the reply. I checked the paragraph spacing option and it wasn't the issue. Turns out I somehow had the "prevent widows and orphans" option checked. Don't know how that happened. Once I unchecked that, everything was fine.