Automatic numbering woes

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
iota

Automatic numbering woes

Post by iota »

I have the following auto-numbered text (the 3 blank lines are in the text also)
1. Kansas

2. Kentucky
I want to insert an item in between #1 and #2 so to achieve the following text:
1. Kansas

2. Klingon

3. Kentucky
So I type in "Klingon" between the two numbered items then select "Numbered list" from the lists palette. This produces the following text:
1. Kansas

1. Klingon

2. Kentucky
Then I select "Continue numbering . . ." from the lists palette and get the following text:
1. Kansas

2. Klingon

2. Kentucky
Notice that "Kentucky" did not change to #3.
If I had a long list of numbered items this would then require I change every subsequent number since I added an item in the middle of the list.

I do find that the renumbering after inserting a middle item works when there are no blank lines between the numbered items. If I tried the above using this text without blank lines:
1. Kansas
2. Kentucky
Indeed I get:
1. Kansas
2. Klingon
3. Kentucky
But there are often times when I have a lot of space/text between numbered items.

How can I fix this? Is this a bug?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Automatic numbering woes

Post by martin »

This isn't generally a bug, as the "Continue/Restart Numbering" menus are a one-shot override.

You'll probably want to reconfigure your list style in the stylesheet. Select the list style and turn on the "continue numbering across document content" option. I hope this helps.
iota

Re: Automatic numbering woes

Post by iota »

Thanks for the insight Martin. Worked like a charm!