Block quote spacing problem when opened by other programs

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
freili

Block quote spacing problem when opened by other programs

Post by freili »

I use many block quotes in my writing, always using the 'block quote' style, perhaps incorrectly. My documents are normally 1.5 or double spaced and block quotes are single spaced with an empty line both before and after. When changing the quote's style to 'block quote', I always have to add another line on top, as NWE begins the single spacing with the first line of the quote, thus rendering the line spacing between normal text and block quote single spaced.

When I send these documents (as .rtf files) to others using Word or OpenOffice (both Mac and PC), the spacing problem is reversed. There are now two blank lines before each block quote -- i.e. it has preserved a memory that I added a carriage return to create the necessary blank line, but it also has designated the line spacing there as double spaced), but has collapsed the double spacing at the end of the quote, meaning the space between the quote and the following normal text is single-spaced. My assumption is that NWE double spaces by putting a blank line *above* the text, whereas Word, OO.org, etc. put the blank line below the text.

Is there any way around this?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Block quote spacing problem when opened by other programs

Post by martin »

I'm afraid there's no way around this. The Apple text layout engine (which NWP makes use of) always adds line spacing before the text, instead of after it like Word and other applications. We've raised the issue with Apple, but beyond hoping they make a change, we can't do much either- sorry.