Problems installing 3.3.2

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
johnmdix

Problems installing 3.3.2

Post by johnmdix »

Hi all,

I keep downloading the 3.3.2 update, but when after I click to install I get the same message: "Update Error! Nisus Writer Express does not have permission to write to the application's directory! Are you running off a disk image? If not, ask your system administrator for help."

What do I need to successfully install the update? I'm not too savvy with my Mac yet, so any help is greatly appreciated!
mrennie

Re: Problems installing 3.3.2

Post by mrennie »

Hi,

there's no need to run an installer to install the application. Simply drag the application from the disk image (the window that opens up when you double-click the file you downloaded) to your Applications folder. Nisus Writer Express will then sit in your Applications folder, and you can open it from there.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

mrennie is exactly right. The only "install" you need to do is copy Nisus Writer Express from the downloaded disk image (an archive of sorts) to your computer's Application folder. Just drag the Nisus Writer Express icon to the Applications folder and the copy will commence.

Once the copy is complete, you can launch Nisus Writer Express by double-clicking its icon in your Applications folder. You may want to add Express to your dock, by dragging the Express icon (from your Applications folder) to the dock. Then you can launch Express simply by clicking the icon in the dock.

Let us know if you have any questions about any of this.
johnmdix

Post by johnmdix »

Well, here's the thing... I dragged the application from the disk image a long time ago. It is happily in my Applications folder and sitting on the Dock.

But over the past month, it has been prompting me to install a a software update. "A new version of Nisus Writer Express is available!"

After I click "Install Update" and the update is downloaded, I click "Install and Relaunch" and this is when I get the troublesome error message. What do I do?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Ah, I see! I'm sorry to have misunderstood the situation.

The auto-updater works by downloading the new version, extracting it, and replacing the old version. The problem appears to be that the auto-updater cannot move the new version to your Applications folder because it does not have the proper permission.

Here's what you can do:
1. Quit Nisus Writer Express (NWX) if it is running.
2. Move your copy of NWX from your Applications folder to the Trash.
3. Manually download the NWX 3.3.2 update (you may need to extract/unzip it).
4. Move the downloaded/extracted copy of NWX to your Applications folder.

Let me know how it goes.