Unable to save as word binary format (.doc) - NWE 1.1.2a

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
giorgio

Unable to save as word binary format (.doc) - NWE 1.1.2a

Post by giorgio »

New NWE document, just some bold and italic text.
File->Save as->Word document format (.doc)
I get a .doc filename but file format is RTF and not word binary!!!
BTW: file type and creator are "correctly" set to W8BN MSWD

Installation problem?
Stupid user?
Stupid bug on version 1.1.2a? What about previous versions?

Thanks in advance to all.

Giorgio
dshan

Saving In Word Format Broken

Post by dshan »

Yep, I get the same thing with 1.1.2 (I've not seen 1.1.2a, where did you get that?) It saves it with .doc suffix and W8BN file type but the file is actually in RTF format...
charles

Post by charles »

This is normal. A .doc file can actually be either the binary or RTF formats. (Word will accept both). This method is commonly used by many word processors that support DOC format including: Word itself! When Microsoft released Word 97 with its new binary document format, they provided backward compatibility by saving the file in RTF format, even though the document had a .doc extension.

It is nothing to worry about; this is an accepted format for .DOC files. It is also faster to read and write RTF and more applications can read this format, so it provides a better all-around experience.

-Charles
giorgio

Post by giorgio »

charles wrote:This is normal. A .doc file can actually be either the binary or RTF formats. (Word will accept both). This method is commonly used by many word processors that support DOC format including: Word itself! When Microsoft released Word 97 with its new binary document format, they provided backward compatibility by saving the file in RTF format, even though the document had a .doc extension.
You are probably right in Windows platform but W8BN doesn't mean RTF!!!
charles wrote:It is nothing to worry about; this is an accepted format for .DOC files. It is also faster to read and write RTF and more applications can read this format, so it provides a better all-around experience.

-Charles
It is important for me and probably not for you but, take it just as an example, Quark XPress import filter does recognize only Word binary files.
I wanted to switch my editors from Word 2 NWE but this is not possible if NWE does not support word binary file.
As you can see, for me, this is not a "better experience".

Take a look at http://nisus.com/Express under the second paragraph of "The Features you need"
Nisus Software (The features you need) wrote:Share your files with Nisus Writer Express's built in support for industry standard RTF and Microsoft® Word file formats.
Please note the "AND" between RTF and Microsoft Word file format.
For me that means the two formats (and not filename extensions) are different.

I wait for a Nisus Sotfware official answer...
:cry:
giorgio

Re: Saving In Word Format Broken

Post by giorgio »

1.1.2a was downloaded from the Nisus site.
You haven't a previous NWE version?