Automatic Number Submenu

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
kirkesque

Automatic Number Submenu

Post by kirkesque »

Curious problem to which I hope the solution is that I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm trying to Insert the word count of a document into the footer of the page. I think it's supposed to work like this:

Insert > Automatic Number > Word Count.

The problem is that all three options in that submenu (Character/Word/Paragraph Count) are not highlighted; they cannot be clicked on. I've tried various documents and all have the same problem.

Any suggestions as to solving this issue?
Hamid

Re: Automatic Number Submenu

Post by Hamid »

I cannot reproduce the problem.
Is there anything particular about your documents?
Can you try this in a new document after typing a few words?
kirkesque

Post by kirkesque »

I have tried it with numerous documents—old, new, and even with the default template. I just don't have the option of using those three features (character/word/paragraph count).

Frustrating. Especially if it isn't a problem encountered by others. Not sure what I'd be doing with my documents that wouldn't allow for use of that feature.
~k
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

You are right: it seems to be a bug.
I first tried to reproduce it in NWP which has the same feature, but now I downloaded NWE and the menus are dimmed.

When I insert wordcount in NWP and then open the file in NWE and add more words, the wordcount is updated in NWE.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Here is a Nisus New File (.dot file) with wordcount inserted in the footer that you can use in the meantime. It should update wordcount in NWE. You can also copy the wordcount from this file and paste it in another document.
Nisus New File wordcount.dot.zip
(2.99 KiB) Downloaded 1000 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

There is a bug here, though not necessarily what you might expect. Those particular automatic numbers were intended to be for use in Nisus Writer Pro only. So really those menus should not show in Express at all.
When I insert wordcount in NWP and then open the file in NWE and add more words, the wordcount is updated in NWE
Even for features that are not enabled in Express, we do try to preserve such features when the file is opened/resaved so no data loss can occur.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

I should have checked this:
http://nisus.com/pro/comparison.php
kirkesque

Post by kirkesque »

martin wrote:There is a bug here, though not necessarily what you might expect. Those particular automatic numbers were intended to be for use in Nisus Writer Pro only. So really those menus should not show in Express at all.
When I insert wordcount in NWP and then open the file in NWE and add more words, the wordcount is updated in NWE
Even for features that are not enabled in Express, we do try to preserve such features when the file is opened/resaved so no data loss can occur.

Ah. Curious thing to keep exclusive to Pro.

Strike two against Express. Not that it matters, I've paid for it already.

Hamid wrote:I should have checked this:

I did check that and see no mention of anything that would warn me Insert Word Count would not be available to Express.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try the file you posted in that other message and see what comes of it.
~k
kirkesque

Post by kirkesque »

Hamid wrote:Here is a Nisus New File (.dot file) with wordcount inserted in the footer that you can use in the meantime. It should update wordcount in NWE. You can also copy the wordcount from this file and paste it in another document.

Sweetness and light. This works. :)

Hvala lupo... thank you very much.
~k
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

kirkesque wrote:
martin wrote:There is a bug here, though not necessarily what you might expect. Those particular automatic numbers were intended to be for use in Nisus Writer Pro only. So really those menus should not show in Express at all.
Ah. Curious thing to keep exclusive to Pro.
We have a whole suite of "automatic content" that is only available in Pro, eg: updating date/time stamps, document/file properties, etc. Personally I think insertable, automatically updating character/word/paragraph counts are part of that, and should be considered a "pro" feature.
Hamid wrote:I should have checked this:
I did check that and see no mention of anything that would warn me Insert Word Count would not be available to Express.
Both Pro and Express show live char/word/para counts, but only Pro can insert the information as an automatically updating variable. You're right that the comparison doesn't make clear the difference. I'll see what we can do.
kirkesque

Post by kirkesque »

Thanks, Martin.

Other than a few minor things like this, I do love the way Nisus Express hovers between being stripped down and being fully loaded.

Well, that sounded a little weird, but there it is.
~k