find panel bugs: kills palletts, hard to switch back to tool

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
danfeder

Post by danfeder »

Has anyone else experienced this bug? Once I have used the find panel, it is difficult to get back to my palletts. There seems to be no keystroke to acomplish this - one must retract the find panel manually, then unhide tools.

The more serious problem is that once I get my tool palletts back, all the controls are dead - they look fine, but clicking them gets no response. The only way to get them back is to close the document and open it again. This obviously gets very irritating. So far, I have never once successfully gotten working palletts back after using find.

I like the panel-style find function in theory, but at least on my machine it comes with some very irritating bugs.

Using Express 1.1.2 on OS X 10.3.3.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

danfeder,

I have not experienced what you describe, but, allow me to suggest two possible solutions:

A.
There should be a "Close" button at the bottom of your Find/Replace drawer.

B.
Display the Find/Replace tool as a separate window:

1. Choose Preferences from the Nisus Writer Express menu.

2. Click General in the Preferences dialog (if it is not already displayed).

3. Click Show Find in Separate Window (in the Display Options portion of the dialog).
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
danfeder

find in separate window did the trick

Post by danfeder »

Thanks for the quick reply. Very interesting. If I open find over the tools and then use the close button (IE, the tools palletts are open the whole time, just obscured by the find pallett), the tools still work. But if I close tools before opening find, or if I close both tools and find together, tools no longer work when I pull them back out again. Now that I know about that Close button (duh) I guess it won't be much of an issue for me.

Strange if I'm the only one who has experienced this... I have Shapeshifter running, I wonder if that conflicts with all the drawer action somehow.

For what it's worth, I agree with other users who have said Find would make more sense as simply another pallett, accessable from the drop-down menu at the top of the tools drawer.

Btw, no problems when I run Find in a separate window.