PAGE NUMBERING Start mid doc - Also Book Printing Numbering

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
mibtp

PAGE NUMBERING Start mid doc - Also Book Printing Numbering

Post by mibtp »

Hi,

I've written an ebook that I am now formatting to be printed as a Paperback. I am using a template to make sure the spacing is correct. But I need to:

1) Start the page numbering on page 12
2) Have the page numbering centered on the bottom of the page

I believe I would use the FOOTER to number and center, but have no clue how to have the numbering start where I want it.

Any help would be appreciated.

PatriceWilliamsMarks.com
mibtp

Re: PAGE NUMBERING Start mid doc - Also Book Printing Number

Post by mibtp »

FYI: The instructions for doing this in this thread do not work. Because it is from 2009, and also because you cannot select SAME PAGE because that option is GREYED OUT if you are in the footer.

: http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... ing#p16487
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: PAGE NUMBERING Start mid doc - Also Book Printing Number

Post by martin »

I'm sorry you've had trouble getting custom numbering configured the way you'd like, but we should certainly be able to get this working for you:
mibtp wrote:But I need to:

1) Start the page numbering on page 12
2) Have the page numbering centered on the bottom of the page

I believe I would use the FOOTER to number and center, but have no clue how to have the numbering start where I want it.
Page numbering can potentially be restarted in the following places: at the very start of the document, and after any section break. If you want your document to start with page number 12, that is relatively easy:

1. Place the selection (insertion point / caret) at the very top of your document, on page 1.
2. Look at the Section palette (normally in the Sections palette tool drawer group, but also available via the menu Window > Palettes):
section.png
section.png (27.09 KiB) Viewed 13290 times
3. Under "numbering", change the "Restart At" option to "12" instead of "1".

That should do it. If you wanted to restart numbering elsewhere in your document, you'd first need to insert a section break.

As for centering a page number in the footer:
1. Place the selection into the footer.
2. Insert a page number using the menu Insert > Automatic Number > Page Number.
3. Center align the paragraph using the menu Format > Paragraph > Align Center or the Paragraph palette.

I'm attaching a sample file that shows the results. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Attachments
page12.zrtf
(2.5 KiB) Downloaded 900 times