Keyboard shortcut for character palette

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
cchapin

Keyboard shortcut for character palette

Post by cchapin »

There's a standard keyboard shortcut that will open and close the OS X Font palette and another one to open and close the Colors palette. I've created a menu key to open the Character Palette but don't know how to make the menu key close the Character Palette as well. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm too lazy to aim my mouse for that tiny red dot.

--Craig
charles

Post by charles »

By default, Command-Option-T is assigned to open the Apple Font panel. In 2.0 each palette has its own menu command. You will be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to that command which will toggle showing and hiding of a palette.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
marc

Post by marc »

charles wrote:By default, Command-Option-T is assigned to open the Apple Font panel. In 2.0 each palette has its own menu command. You will be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to that command which will toggle showing and hiding of a palette.
Charles, does that include the individual Nisus palettes, or just the OS-provided ones, i.e. Font, Colour, Special Characters, Keyboard Viewer..?

I had a few comments about this in the 'Character Palette' thread.

Your last few posts are making v2 sounds even better... looking forward to it! :)
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Thank you, Charles (and the rest of the team). That's yet one more reason for me to look forward to 2.0.

--Craig
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Keyboard shortcut to open AND close palettes

Post by rmark »

Craig, Marc, (and others),

The keyboard shortcut that opens a palette in Nisus Writer Express 2.x also closes it.

Good news, indeed.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
marc

Re: Keyboard shortcut to open AND close palettes

Post by marc »

rmark wrote:The keyboard shortcut that opens a palette in Nisus Writer Express 2.x also closes it.
Great news!

One little suggestion (drawn from OmniGraffle, similar to the request for keyboard shortcuts in tool tips, is to actually show the keyboard command in the section header (a picture makes a better explanation):

In this case the palettes are floating, but I could see this working just as well in the drawer... IMHO :)

One drawback of the Omni implementation is that the keyboard command 'only' expands/collapses the palettes, which is applicable to drawer-based palettes in NWE, whereas the stated ability to close a floating palette is very good, ensuring they're on call, but quickly get out of the way.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: Keyboard shortcut to open AND close palettes

Post by rmark »

marc wrote:
rmark wrote:The keyboard shortcut that opens a palette in Nisus Writer Express 2.x also closes it.
Great news!

One little suggestion (drawn from OmniGraffle, similar to the request for keyboard shortcuts in tool tips, is to actually show the keyboard command in the section header (a picture makes a better explanation):

In this case the palettes are floating, but I could see this working just as well in the drawer... IMHO :)

<snip>
This is a nice idea. However, it's too late for implementation in the upcoming version 2.0. We'll keep it in mind.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.