Page Numbering

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Les

Page Numbering

Post by Les »

Is it possible for page numbering to begin with number one on page three, leaving pages one and two w/o page numbers? Thank you...
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: Page Numbering

Post by rmark »

Hello Les,

Yes, indeed it is possible to do what you ask. In fact this is illustrated in the Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro User's Guides. Here's the procedure:

1. Enter your text for pages 1 and 2.

2. At the end of the text on page 2 choose the menu command: Insert > Section Break > Odd Page.

3. With your insertion point now on the 3rd page make sure your Tooldrawer shows the "Sections" set of palettes and, in the Header/Footer (sec 2) palette, check (turn on) This Section Has: Different Headers and Different Footers.

4. Place your insertion point inside the header (or footer, depending on whether you want the page numbers at the top or bottom of the page).

5. Choose the menu command: Insert > Automatic Number > Page Number.

6. In the Section 2 palette be sure to check (turn on) Restart At and type a "1".

That should do the trick. The attached screenshot uses a 4x6 page in landscape view so you can see the three relevant pages.

I hope that helps. If you need any additional assistance, please let me know.
Attachments
Nisus Writer ExpressScreenSnapz001.png
Nisus Writer ExpressScreenSnapz001.png (139.74 KiB) Viewed 15922 times
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Les

Post by Les »

rmark wrote:Hello Les,

Yes, indeed it is possible to do what you ask. In fact this is illustrated in the Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro User's Guides. Here's the procedure:

1. Enter your text for pages 1 and 2.

2. At the end of the text on page 2 choose the menu command: Insert > Section Break > Odd Page.

3. With your insertion point now on the 3rd page make sure your Tooldrawer shows the "Sections" set of palettes and, in the Header/Footer (sec 2) palette, check (turn on) This Section Has: Different Headers and Different Footers.

4. Place your insertion point inside the header (or footer, depending on whether you want the page numbers at the top or bottom of the page).

5. Choose the menu command: Insert > Automatic Number > Page Number.

6. In the Section 2 palette be sure to check (turn on) Restart At and type a "1".

That should do the trick. The attached screenshot uses a 4x6 page in landscape view so you can see the three relevant pages.

I hope that helps. If you need any additional assistance, please let me know.
mibtp

Post by mibtp »

I tried this BUT numbers still show up in section one - where you don't want numbers. This only splits the numbers and starts them again.

How do you create numbering on say, page 10 - starting with number 1 WITHOUT having any numbers show up on pages 1-9? I have been trying to figure this out for over an hour with horrible results.

Section breaks don't work. If you delete the numbers on the first pages, they are deleted on the pages you want them.

HELP! :o)

This should be a very simple feature, not something you tare your hair out over.
ptram

Post by ptram »

With the text cursor in the second section, be sure the "Section has different headers/footers" option is uncheckd in the Header/Footer pane. (Note: I'm not sure this is the name of the option in English; I'm reverse-translating).

Then delete the page number from the first section's header. Being the headers different, any change to the first section's header will not propagate to the second's one.

Paolo